Madagascar vacation pics + more

MicheleSmith

Established Member
I just got back from Madagascar yesterday morning and just wanted to share some pics from the trip.

My mom, sister, and I took the redeye from Paris to Antananarivo, then headed to the Vakôna lodge in Andasibe for 3 days. We spent most of the time hiking through the national parks and rainforests, and I was surprised (more like dissapointed...) to see very little wildlife in such beautiful and lush forests. Only by our hotel, in the potted plants were there chameleons (go figure). Despite that, there were Lemurs and Treefrogs galore, and a little "Lemur Island" you could go to right by our hotel where lemurs had become accustomed to humans. I'd much rather see them completely wild, but I wanted them to jump on me, so I went anyway LOL. We did a few night treks and there were leaftails and treefrogs everywhere! Sleeping chameleons were plentiful and easy to find, and we even saw a Parsons (it was sleeping, but it still counts).

After that we flew to Nosy Be and stayed at the Amarina Hotel. I wasn't expecting Nosy be to be anything spectacular, but I was really shocked when we arrived at our hotel. The entire Island itself was gorgeous, with most of its forests intact, and there was flora and fauna like you wouldn't believe. We went hiking right behind our hotel and there were Panthers everywhere. Not to say they were all screamers, but I was still delightfully surpised to see so many wild chameleons thriving, and not seeing a species devastated by the pet trade industry. Even right outside our hotel room there were Panthers and big Day Geckos in numbers. We spent our last few days there diving and hopping around to different islands.

Overall, it was a pretty amazing experience. It's really sad to see how ill-educated the Malagasi are about the environment and how they burn the forests down regularly for planting crops. Madagascar is still a good 20+ years behind Africa, industrial-wise, but it would be nice to see an incentive provided to the natives to stop excessive deforesting. Alright, enought of my ranting and on to the pics:

21a07b8.jpg

Big female on our way to Andasibe.

f0x4l2.jpg

Giant Oustaleti

a5akv7.jpg

Close up on a leaftail

11qq16s.jpg

Comet Moth

2hoed12.jpg

C. brevicornis? AKA Elephant-ear chameleon

10xsgna.jpg

White Ruffed Lemur

2uh7j4l.jpg

A Common Brown Lemur on me (it only liked me for my carrots); my sister in the background at Lemur Island

2aag036.jpg

Ohmygosh. This little Bamboo Lemur was so adorable, I just wanted to smash it

15368eo.jpg

One of the many Leaftails, spotted at night

2qx19xz.jpg

Sleeping Parsons :D

fmi3h5.jpg

The huge-@$$ spider that was in our hotel room. After I took this picture, I looked back up and it was gone. I stayed out of the room the rest of the day.

2u55n3a.jpg

Calumma nasutum

2ajak9j.jpg

Largest Malagasi Lemurs, the Indri indri

2qw3arl.jpg

Little male Panther around our Hotel at Nosy Be

2webfwy.jpg

Another little male, not so happy though

2814x1h.jpg

Sunset from our room

259zckp.jpg

What most of the national parks looked like, just more dense

30kapuh.jpg

An Octopus drying at a craft village on Nosy be. My mom in the background lol

4izibr.jpg

Malagasi girl

2coixjq.jpg

Just an updated pic of Cobalt. He's going to be 6 in the next couple of months

And some more pics...

25t7ngn.jpg

Brookesia thieli

2469nvd.jpg

I'm really sure...I don't know my Brookesia that well

o9r0uo.jpg

Beautiful little C. gastrotaenia

15mfoz7.jpg

Big ol' guy

I'm working on uploading some more pics, and I'll be posting them in a reply

Last edited:
awesome pictures. I bet its pretty cool down there :) I think I would want to take half of the wildlife with me though :(

Wow! What an awesome experience! Great pics to document it and something that I can only dream about...for now! The lemur's are funny in their expressions! Thanks for sharing!

amazing shots. If you don't mind me asking how much did this trip cost you? I'd be so interested to go and how did you go about planning it and booking it etc.

That looked incredible!
It sounds like you had a great time, and I'm totally jealous.
You took some awesome photos, and would love to see more, so please share if you have time.
Did you see any brookesia?
Did you do some digging in the low bushes for brookesia minima on Nosy Be'?
I cant wait to see some more photos from the guys going on the Panther Passion Tour.
I'm sure with tourism being a primary source of income for some of the areas in Madagascar, was hospitality was good?
It's nice to hear the hotel was nice, too.

By the way, now I know why those other guys always want to hang out with you.;)

Fantastic thread!

Thanks for the comment guys :D

@tryme: I'd be happy to PM you all of our planning/booking information and the estimated overall price.

@Justin Carl: Thanks so much! I have still have to upload a few hundred pics, so once that's done, I'll be sure to post a dozen more or so. We actually did go digging for the smallest Brookesia species, and it took awhile, but we did find a few. Here's a pic:

2qc15xz.jpg

We found a few larger species of Brookesia in Andasibe as well, so I'll be sure to post those pics later. Our guide told us that the Malagasi liked tourists for their willingness to buy souvenirs, but that's it. If we didn't buy something they wanted, they'd get really offended. They called us "Vasas" too, which meant whities (LOL).

@Vegas Chad: I'm on it, as soon as they get uploaded to my comp. :)

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! Amazing series of shots!!! That is the trip I dream of making one day.

I think the little guy with the "Nose" is a Furcifer Labordi???

Another thing I found interesting... How the Males on Nosy Be really don't resemble what we think of in a typical "Nosy Be". I think a lot of us pictured Solid Blue Panthers with yellow lips roaming the island. Shows the role selective breeding in captivity really plays.

Those are indeed some fantastic photos! Thanks very much for sharing. Do you have any pics of panthers from the little islands around Nosy Be? Did you get to Nosy Tanikely or any of the islands off Nosy Be's west coast? Also, that Parson's you found is the crested variety, Calumma parsonii cristifer!

Also, the little guy with the nose appears to be Calumma nasutum or one of the members of that group.

Overall, it was a pretty amazing experience. It's really sad to see how ill-educated the Malagasi are about the environment and how they burn the forests down regularly for planting crops. Madagascar is still a good 20+ years behind Africa, industrial-wise, but it would be nice to see an incentive provided to the natives to stop excessive deforesting. Alright, enought of my ranting and on to the pics:

They arent uneducated but they are a population that increasing just like anywhere else in the world and they are a very poor people. They basically make like 3 dollars and day and farming is a way of survival for them. It's sad but it is what it is. Hopefully with help from other nations they can develop other ways of making a living.

Another thing I found interesting... How the Males on Nosy Be really don't resemble what we think of in a typical "Nosy Be". I think a lot of us pictured Solid Blue Panthers with yellow lips roaming the island. Shows the role selective breeding in captivity really plays.

I agree, that second young male which was fireing up is gonna look amazing whan adult, why change something that stunning?

Thanks for sharing the pics, really enjoyable.

Michele,

Glad to hear you had a good trip. If the little Brookesia you found was in Andasibe, it is actually Brookesia peyrierasi, not Brookesia minima. If it was on Nosy Be, then its B. minima but then again, if you went to Montagne de Ambre and found it there, it was actually Brookesia tuberculata. Also, the short-nosed chameleon is a Calumma nasutum as Kent said.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom