Madagascar Jasmine (Stephanotis floribunda) Cuttings Update

Franquixote

Established Member
Several of you expressed interest in cuttings and I'm updating on the project.

I purchased the necessary supplies (rooting hormone, peat pots, soil, etc.) and am experimenting.

I know from experience that plant cuttings are most successful in the spring, but since the plants are indoors and at a constant light and temperature cycle year round I'm not sure if or when the plants will "know" it's spring.
I have had the plant since July or August and it hasn't flowered. It's growing OK- not terrific but producing new leaves and getting longer.

I have had cuttings in soil for at least a month and they don't look like they are going to root. This was the first effort and I did some unorthodox things like try to root a midsection instead of just the terminal set of leaves.

Next week I am going to try to cut just the 2 last sets of leaves and bury the stem at the 3rd petiole, but this will only allow for 2 (or 3 cuttings at most) each month for a while.

If you are interested in a cutting you should reply to this thread. I don't want to sell these, but naturally you need to cover your shipping.

I'd also prefer to send them to people that are willing to eventually offer free cuttings to other members.

First come first served, I'll let you know via PM if and when I can send them out.

UPDATE: still working weekly on trying to get cutting to root. No success yet. I have a lot of experience with dozens of plants and my guess is that I'm going to need to set up a lighting program to simulate spring- in the past, I have encountered a lot of plants that simply won't take well in any other season. My arctic kiwis (various species and varieties of actinida) were nearly impossible to get to root any other time of year, but in the spring you could literally snap off a couple inches of any part of the plant, throw some dirt on it, and it would start rooting in a week.

Next weekend I am going to try a few new methods and will report back ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom