Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches

PrettyInInk87

Ran across an ad. for a breeding pair of Tiger Hissers and 16 nymphs for 8 dollars!:eek: I jumped on it right away and sent an e-mail... They haven't gotten back to me yet :( but hope they do. I'm really excited and hope to get them so that I can start a colony up! :D

Ran across an ad. for a breeding pair of Tiger Hissers and 16 nymphs for 8 dollars!:eek: I jumped on it right away and sent an e-mail... They haven't gotten back to me yet :( but hope they do. I'm really excited and hope to get them so that I can start a colony up! :D

I don't know if many people feed hissers...

I'm sure they can be fed and have heard of others feed their Chams hissers. Either way, I have a Dubia and Lobster roach colony going and have those available. :) I also have other critters who'd love them some Hissers!:D

Nice snag! Sure, people use Hissers as feeders, though be carful of feeding roaches that are too large. I myself haven't used Hissers as feeders though you will probably want to use smaller nymphs, ideally nymphs that have recently shed; the exoskeleton of Hissers is more tough - aka more difficult to digest - than that of a dubia, lateralis or lobster roach.

I hope you get them :D

Nice snag! Sure, people use Hissers as feeders, though be carful of feeding roaches that are too large. I myself haven't used Hissers as feeders though you will probably want to use smaller nymphs, ideally nymphs that have recently shed; the exoskeleton of Hissers is more tough - aka more difficult to digest - than that of a dubia, lateralis or lobster roach.

I hope you get them :D

Thank you! Like I said, either way I have 6 Tarantulas i'm sure would love them a big fat Hisser. :D I'm learning so anyone's opinion is welcome. I just thought it was a GREAT deal having seen them go for up to 5 dollars each, or more!:eek:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pet/2200625452.html

My Sambava LOVES hissers, but the hissing noise and the crunching sounds when he eats them are just horrible!

They are good for larger chams, i have fed hissing nymphs but not any adult hissers, u them for producing babies then keep a few to make adulthood, then repeat and you have cheap easy feeders.

They are good for larger chams, i have fed hissing nymphs but not any adult hissers, u them for producing babies then keep a few to make adulthood, then repeat and you have cheap easy feeders.

Yeah, I was thinking of only feeding nymphs since they do get quite large. Heck, I might even just keep them as pets! Lol! My son LOVES roaches.:) BUT my critters need to eat soooo... :p

Thank you! Like I said, either way I have 6 Tarantulas i'm sure would love them a big fat Hisser. :D I'm learning so anyone's opinion is welcome. I just thought it was a GREAT deal having seen them go for up to 5 dollars each, or more!:eek:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pet/2200625452.html

I've been looking at getting a tarantula, do you hold any of yours? Wow 5 bucks each, if you get a good colony going let me know if you want to sell a few off :)

I got them! I'll be picking them up tomorrow afternoon... He said I could go pick them up tonight but it's a little late. :D

I've been looking at getting a tarantula, do you hold any of yours? Wow 5 bucks each, if you get a good colony going let me know if you want to sell a few off :)

I do not hold my T's, i'm too much of a wimp to even try. I do handle one of them which is my A. avicularia (Pink Toe) sling (spiderling) but s/he is SUPER docile and is tiny. I'm not afraid of his or her fangs as much as I am of my larger T's. Lol! I honestly think T's are a hands off "pet" and really just enjoy them from afar. :) Everyone has their own opinions on the matter but this is just mine. I'm not experienced enough and also just am plain afraid of them. :) Although, it is a good idea to corale them once in a while so that when it comes time to do an enclosure cleaning, you don't freak out and know what to do in case they jump or something. :p

I do not hold my T's, i'm too much of a wimp to even try. I do handle one of them which is my A. avicularia (Pink Toe) sling (spiderling) but s/he is SUPER docile and is tiny. I'm not afraid of his or her fangs as much as I am of my larger T's. Lol! I honestly think T's are a hands off "pet" and really just enjoy them from afar. :) Everyone has their own opinions on the matter but this is just mine. I'm not experienced enough and also just am plain afraid of them. :) Although, it is a good idea to corale them once in a while so that when it comes time to do an enclosure cleaning, you don't freak out and know what to do in case they jump or something. :p

Yes i think i would also be a observer lol not that im scared to hold them just i would rather not get bit and be alergic or something lol thanks for the reply :)

Yes i think i would also be a observer lol not that im scared to hold them just i would rather not get bit and be alergic or something lol thanks for the reply :)

Your welcome, I got "bit" once by my A. versicolor (she thinks anything that touches her is food.) but lucky for me, she got my nail. I felt her fangs hit and scrape off...:eek: She thought the movement was food. Lol!:p I use to "pet" their little butts but now I don't even do that. I'd say if you want a docile species to start with, get a A. avicularia which is the common Pink Toe. They are VERY docile and fairly cheap in price. Be careful, just as Chameleon keeping is addicting, Tarantula keeping is even MORE addicting. Lol!

Those lay eggs right? I'm having a real tough time hatching cricket eggs. I have a dubia colony I started. They freaked me out at first, but I've actually grown to like them. I feel bad feeding the males off to my mellers. I've got about 40 or so that just molted into adults and another 200 or so that should be adults in a month. Now, I'm just waiting for babies...

Those lay eggs right? I'm having a real tough time hatching cricket eggs. I have a dubia colony I started. They freaked me out at first, but I've actually grown to like them. I feel bad feeding the males off to my mellers. I've got about 40 or so that just molted into adults and another 200 or so that should be adults in a month. Now, I'm just waiting for babies...

Wow, that is awesome. I'm trying to get my Dubia colony going, I have 11 males and 13 female. 8 Female are adults and only 2 male... About 3 days ago one of my females gave me a batch of 35 babies!:eek: Very happy and excited, lol! I'm not feeding them off anymore and am just letting them grow, I do need to get my hands on more Dubia and make the colony bigger. Hissers are live bearers but do carry an "egg sac", they carry it internally and bear live young. :)

Crickets are too much of a hassle for me, I tried to breed them once but gave up after a couple of weeks. Lol!

Picked up my Hissers this morning and just now as I was handling them, I noticed they had tiny little white mites on them.:confused: I read somewhere to put them in a plastic bag with flour, the mites fall off, and then mist the cockroach to get the flour off. Does this sound right? Should I be worried?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom