Lucky Bamboo

Mew

Hello there,
I have a Jackson who is getting a new, much larger, enclosure soon, and I would love to add some live plants into the mix of things. I really couldn't find a definitive answer to whether or not Dracaena braunii, "Lucky Bamboo" is okay for chams.

I have read that almost all Dracaena are fine, but people seem to be iffy on lucky bamboo. I know the actual bamboo can cause problems, and I'm not sure if that's what causes such a fierce debate, even though they are entirely different species.

What I'm looking for is experience, not so much opinion. Has anyone placed Dracaena braunii, lucky bamboo, in a chameleon tank, specifically a jackson if you can, and what were the effects? I have several plants that I have grown myself as offspring from my aquarium Dracaena braunii, so they are definitely pesticide free.

-Zack

Hello there,

What I'm looking for is experience, not so much opinion. Has anyone placed Dracaena braunii, lucky bamboo, in a chameleon tank, specifically a jackson if you can, and what were the effects? I have several plants that I have grown myself as offspring from my aquarium Dracaena braunii, so they are definitely pesticide free.

-Zack
Yes, I use it. You can see some in this thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/comparative-lighting-study-116604/index4.html

Had it in all my enclosures since March. It grew so much I had to cut it off, poke it in the soil and then I had double the amount.

Sorry no jacksoni here though.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't imagine toxicity would matter from species to species.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't imagine toxicity would matter from species to species.

I also use real bamboo too since my chams don't eat vegetation. I've found that even the low growing variety does so well it blocks all of the light in a few short months so it need pruned propagated frequently compared to the lucky bamboo which will probably only need chopped once a year or so. In a few years I should have a crop of the lucky stuff. ;)

I thought "real" bamboo was toxic? I'm not sure whether or not Merlin will take a bite of it, and I want to be sure it's safe.

I thought "real" bamboo was toxic? I'm not sure whether or not Merlin will take a bite of it, and I want to be sure it's safe.

Yes and according to some sources lucky bamboo is toxic too. You said you were looking for experience using it, which I have. Whether or not it is truly toxic, I will leave to others to argue.:p

I use it without problems.

Indeed, well thanks for your input :p I meant more of that I have found around 85% against the use of real bamboo, while I can't really find anything other than "it shouldn't be toxic, but it could be" for Dracaena braunii.

Back
Top Bottom