Low Profile Heat Source

Tihshho

Established Member
Working up a rack to house everyone while optimizing space and I'm trying to figure out if there are any low profile lights anyone uses for their heat source for daytime basking? I know LED spotlight bulbs are used commonly, but that requires a dome. Has anyone used an LED strip that they have found offers a decent heat output? How about any specific T5 bulbs?

Working up a rack to house everyone while optimizing space and I'm trying to figure out if there are any low profile lights anyone uses for their heat source for daytime basking? I know LED spotlight bulbs are used commonly, but that requires a dome. Has anyone used an LED strip that they have found offers a decent heat output? How about any specific T5 bulbs?

Im looking for same... to maximize space on my bug rack. I hooked up a flat Sansi 70w led for my plants last night. Def not enough heat for basking. My chams do tend to sit directly under the Sansi grow lights, but they only give off a little heat, hardly noticable.

Xenon bulbs don't have a long run life though do they? Aren't they made for non-continuous use?

I have been using them for about a year now 10 hours per day for basking lights in my carpet cham cages. Have not noticed any temperature loss. Basking area is right around 91
You have Jackson's right? So would be running them at a lower temperature
Just to create a small warmer area in a top corner of the enclosures?

I'm interested in this now as well... Saw someone mentioned a quad fixture t5 puts off about 90° in the inches below it. I was considering upgrading that or perhaps something like this could work.

Issue I have in a rack are that the heat source needs to be slim (in height), not radiate a ton of excess heat from the heat sinks of the device (as the base of other enclosures are above them), and need to be ok with humidity/minimal moisture contact (due to cham rain nozzles on MistKing spraying next to them.)

Overall I'd like the system to be somewhat energy efficient as well as I'm not looking to rewire a room to get breakers replaced.

I have the raised up on 1" aluminum foil rings, because they were both screen climbers for the first couple months when I got them. Was worried about thermal burns.
The breeder I got them from said he has them directly on the screen.
If you plan on having a shelf above the lights you would want to run them even lower heat due to the ambient they emit. They are pretty hot.

Attachments

• 20191213_151501.jpg
    20191213_151501.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20191213_151518.jpg
    20191213_151518.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 149
  • 20191213_151550.jpg
    20191213_151550.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 137
Issue I have in a rack are that the heat source needs to be slim (in height), not radiate a ton of excess heat from the heat sinks of the device (as the base of other enclosures are above them), and need to be ok with humidity/minimal moisture contact (due to cham rain nozzles on MistKing spraying next to them.)

Overall I'd like the system to be somewhat energy efficient as well as I'm not looking to rewire a room to get breakers replaced.
We were both typing at the same time.
You might have to go with different set ups for the open enclosures on top vs the lower ones with shelves above.
Zoomed led/uvb combos put out a bit of heat and are low profile( about 1.5"). How much space are you working with between top of enclosure to the shelf above?

I know it's old but I bought a pack of these with the idea of using them in a living wall for supplemental light to be mounted above or below the pots in the great stuff inlay so that they don't block off light to the lower areas of the enclosure.I'm not worried about waterproofing as they will have a secure weatherproof home in a cave of great stuff I am concerned about how much heat they throw off if anyone still active from this thread can you weigh in on the ambient temperature would you feel safe putting this inside of the great stuff or would it be too much of a risk to even consider

I like the aluminum ring idea. I use them for my day geckos & anoles. I've tried them with hoehnelli but at least right now, they don't produce enough heat the raise the ambient temp to around 65/ 68F. Have to try once it warms up

Yeah I'm going to run these pucks while I'm at work today and check temps at 2-4-6 hour marks and see what they are I've got a probe and thermal gun. I'm hoping to leave pockets into my living wall and insert these under a larger pot that will be in the upper part of the wall. I'm not sure if this is the right light for what I'm looking to do but it seems like it to me just need to know about them temps. Im still conceptualizing the layout as I've got 14 plants and about 30 ft of branches and large ghost wood and Manzanita. I know I'll need to boost my light in the lower half of the enclosure I have a quad bulb t5 and ordered a sansi led square to try as well. Fingers crossed I'll leave this thread alone since it's so old and continue on this post for any interested in a run away diy living wall plant dream. . https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-build-living-wall.181170/page-2#post-1646836

Back
Top Bottom