Low oxalate and high oxalate foods we gutload with or avoid

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
Broccoli 2 mgs per cup

Brussels sprouts 9 mgs per 3 oz

Watercress less than 3mg per 100g

Mustard greens (cant find consistent measurment but is usually under 10 mg)

Turnip greens (cant find consistent measurements but seems to be under 15 mg)

Bokchoy 2mg per cup

Common kale 17 mg in 3 oz (there is more in dino kale, less in curly leaf)

Remember most of these are cooked when eaten and cooking reduces oxalates, however usually when raw the oxalates only increase by 2-5 mg BUT they are usually MORE bioavailable.

However the foods below are high in oxalates above 25 mg a serving and also some are high in goitgrogens

Collards, Swiss chard, Dino Kale, beets and beet greens, almonds, sweet potatoes, oranges, berries, spinach

There however is ways to avoid problems with oxalates, provide plenty of water. Avoid processed sugar and salt, and increase calcium. The thing is... we need a varied diet. Most of us feed from both these lists there is more foods on the medium high to high oxalate list than there are on the low oxalates. Which is fine. We supplement our reptiles and insects in a way that they shouldnt have a problem with calcium absoprtion. Do i think we should go will nilly with the spinach. Heck no. Do i think we should avoid it completely if we have some going bad and need to toss it to the bugs. Also no. Ive done this since ive been keeping reptiles. Feed a well rounded diet. Give them consistent access to fluids. And supplement. I know ive been on this tangent for a while today but the research is driving me a bit crazy and you guys are the only ones who appreciate this stuff.

Its like when i did that stupid vit A post at some ungodly time in the morning. >.>'

I mean the list is so much longer than what i provides but its insane. And it gets to a point where the diet rotation would just be so limited.

Does low bioavailable urinary oxalates still have the issue of binding dietary calcium? I know it doesnt affect kidney stones as much but do we still have to worry about calcium as a nutrients then?

"You need to eat calcium so that it can bind with oxalate in the stomach and intestines before it moves to the kidneys. Eating foods with calcium is a good way for oxalates to leave the body and not form stones."

From what i read, if its and oxalate, its gonna bind to either itself or calcium, regardless. So a worst case would be a high oxalate low calcium diet. I thought with a high calcium diet, the oxalate wont form crystals in the kidneys, though that is for stone control, not lizard diet.

Interesting. I wish we had more data on their nutrtitional needs and the way they digest. We barely have started looking into natural diet for dogs. So i can only imagine how long it will take for reptiles and insects.

Back
Top Bottom