Lots of little flies!

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
There are some little flies in Eustis’s enclosure. I’ve been noticing them for a couple of weeks or a little longer. When I took a couple of his plants out the other day to clean his enclosure they were in the dirt of the plant. What could they be? They’re really tiny, not fruit flies, they’re actually smaller than them.

It’s something many of us battle with. You can try sundew plants (drosera capensis) or a Katchy.
I wonder if diatomaceous earth would be safe to use. @jamest0o0 what do you know?
Well you know sundews have worked amazing for me, but I know you didn't have so much luck(i suspect it is the species of the gnat, some are attracted to them immediately, others aren't as interested). I don't know if I'd use DE, a katchy or plant would prob be my go to on top of good draining soil.

Hi Linda. Yeah I had quite a few earlier in the year so I put Venus fly trap in the room which to be honest isn't a great job if you've lots of flies , so yes I also put drosera a type of sundew in the room near my enclosure ( not in it ) and the problem was sorted pretty quickly ( All situations vary)

Hi Linda. Yeah I had quite a few earlier in the year so I put Venus fly trap in the room which to be honest isn't a great job if you've lots of flies , so yes I also put drosera a type of sundew in the room near my enclosure ( not in it ) and the problem was sorted pretty quickly ( All situations vary)
Yeah venus fly traps are pretty useless, they're just cool. They don't even usually eat flies in the wild, usually crawling insects and small frogs/lizards.

Drosera capensis sundews are amazing with the soil and fungus gnats that are attracted to them. I'd see them pretty much come right out of the soil, leave the cage, and fly over to the sundews.

You could be over watering and definitely not enough air flow. Wet soil + stagnant air will bring these little fungus gnats. I learned this information years back from a Mistking rep at a show he suggested I install a small pc fan above the cage to encourage air flow. Within a week or so no more gnats.

Back
Top Bottom