Lots of eggs

jdog1027

Established Member
I think I will have my hands full in about 3 months, don't you think?

100_0456.jpg

Wow! I'm guessing veiled eggs? Is that one clutch?

Nm- just counted them. Must be multiple chameleons. :)

Are those all from one clutch? Conrats & good luck with them. What type of cham are they from?

Noiceee

That's gonna be a handful when were they laid? And why are 2 separated from the rest.

That's gonna be a handful when were they laid? And why are 2 separated from the rest.

The far right clutch is due in May- The rest are due in August. The 2 are seperated because that particular clutch seemed to want to kinda start molding up on a couple of eggs. I read somewhere once that peat moss has a high ph and it is better at preventing mold growth. It seemed to work. Not only that, but those 2 eggs have seemingly swelled a little larger than the rest of the clutch. I figure that's probably due to minor differences in the dampness of the material.

I had no luck with peat moss. Lost 4 clutches to mold. I was having trouble finding vermiculite. Finally found some and had to drive a ways to get it, but got a 50 pound sack. Would you believe it is almost gone? It's cheap, but who cares, it's all I'll ever use.

Glad the peat is working for you.

BTW, Did you mark the tops? I see them colored with blue or green or something?

I had no luck with peat moss. Lost 4 clutches to mold. I was having trouble finding vermiculite. Finally found some and had to drive a ways to get it, but got a 50 pound sack. Would you believe it is almost gone? It's cheap, but who cares, it's all I'll ever use.

Glad the peat is working for you.

BTW, Did you mark the tops? I see them colored with blue or green or something?

Yeah- I use vermiculite for the most part. It has gotten harder to find just straight up vermiculite-most of it is the Miracle Grow brand that is loaded with fertilizers, plant food and such. I finally found some plain old vermiculite at a different Lowe's than my local one. Just thought I'd give the peat a try based on that article I read. Yes, I mark the tops with a Crayola brand marker. They are washable and non-toxic, so I've never had any issues I could associate with it. I wouldn't want to use something harsh like a Sharpie.

Yeah- I use vermiculite for the most part. It has gotten harder to find just straight up vermiculite-most of it is the Miracle Grow brand that is loaded with fertilizers, plant food and such. I finally found some plain old vermiculite at a different Lowe's than my local one. Just thought I'd give the peat a try based on that article I read. Yes, I mark the tops with a Crayola brand marker. They are washable and non-toxic, so I've never had any issues I could associate with it. I wouldn't want to use something harsh like a Sharpie.

Can I ask why you mark the tops of the eggs?

There is controversy as to whether it is advisable or safe to move or turn reptile eggs. Bird eggs for example; The embryo of those are attached directly to the yolk and must be turned for thermoregulation. The embryos of reptiles however, attach to a spot in the shell. Turning can result in 'drowning'. I've read it's not really drowning, but more like kinks can for in the umbilical causing suffocation. I'm not a scientist- these are just things that I have read in the past. I can say that in my younger days when I didn't know any better, I would be so excited about any and all reptile eggs I might of had at the time, that I would constantly mess with them without regard to keeping the top side up. Despite this, I still had eggs hatch. I think it is good practice to stick to keeping the top side marked, just to be on the safe side.

I know there has been discussion regarding that, however when the female drops her eggs into the hole she has dug they plop down helter skelter in all different directions. By removing them and putting them in the incubation bin we are actually laying them all flat. I can't help thinking that marking them within 24 hours of them being laid doesn't make a bit of difference. The amount of eggs that I have removed and re-planted have never suffered from the move.

Maybe a biologist can shed some light on this discussion or start another.

Back
Top Bottom