Lots of eggs

Yeah- I use vermiculite for the most part. It has gotten harder to find just straight up vermiculite-most of it is the Miracle Grow brand that is loaded with fertilizers, plant food and such. I finally found some plain old vermiculite at a different Lowe's than my local one. Just thought I'd give the peat a try based on that article I read. Yes, I mark the tops with a Crayola brand marker. They are washable and non-toxic, so I've never had any issues I could associate with it. I wouldn't want to use something harsh like a Sharpie.

Have you guys ever tried hatch rite? That's what I'm currently using.

Bocajan, I believe there is a certain 'time window', varying for different species (some apparently none) before which the embryo has 'attached'. I think it has something to do with a 'pocket' of air where gas exchange occurs, around which the contents form within that certain period. Turning might compress or destroy that pocket leading to oxygen starvation during a vital period.
Too many exceptions to the 'rule', even in my personal experience, never the less I make an effort not to turn them.
N.milii (barking or thicktail geckos) will roll the eggs all about in the nest with her feet before burying them, no idea why. :)

How about when they were just layed and you put them in their cups/container? Does it matter which side they get placed on at that point?

How about when they were just layed and you put them in their cups/container? Does it matter which side they get placed on at that point?

I don't think the first 24-48 hours are real crucial from what I've read. After they have had time to sit and form the air pocket at the top and an embryo has started to develop. After that is when you need to be extra diligent.

Back
Top Bottom