Lost Nails???

_kale_//latd_

I have a female veiled chameleon who is just over a year old. She's eating, drinking, and behaving normally. However, I just noticed when I got back from work that she's missing some nails. I don't know how this happened or why. It looks like she's lost 4 so far all on her front feet. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Is this something I should be working to prevent in the future?
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6989.jpg

Does she climb the screen often? Do you have any rope vines?

If the lighting, or any other part of your husbandry, is incorrect, your chameleon may pace around the cage and start screen climbing due to being uncomfortable. Have you witnessed her climbing the screen?

And if you have rope (or other materials mentioned later on by other members of the forum) in your enclosure, all you have to do is remove it. Simple as that. Rope or other cloth material such as reptile hammocks can snag your chameleon's toenails which results in a loss of toenails.

And yes, you should try to prevent further loss of toenails. Answer the questions above first, then after, fill out this form below so we can better help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Missing nails are not that uncommon. However we should try to prevent it. As mentioned screen climbing and ropes are key culprits but not the only. It can also happen from handling when we try to get them off a branch if we are not careful. I would look for things that look like she could get stuck on. And the Husbandry form is a great idea to help us help you, as mentioned by @Mendez

Missing nails are not that uncommon. However we should try to prevent it. As mentioned screen climbing and ropes are key culprits but not the only. It can also happen from handling when we try to get them off a branch if we are not careful. I would look for things that look like she could get stuck on. And the Husbandry form is a great idea to help us help you, as mentioned by @Mendez
He was screen climbing really bad like a week ago before I finished his new enclosure now he doesn’t go on the screen. He has no ropes in his enclosure. Maybe it was the screen he was climbing on in the last enclosure. His new screen isn’t metal it’s nylon so it’s softer and if he grabs it it’ll just push the nylon out of the way and make the hole bigger so he doesn’t get stuck.

My first thought was to try & find the errant claws/nails as a clue to the cause, then go from there to prevent more repeat occurrences.

Chameleons have a surprisingly strong grip—claws or not (personal experience). So strong that I think loss of a few—while concerning in the wild (high winds, driving rains, fleeing predators, etc.)—may not be as much of a concern in captivity.

As animal/chameleon disabilities go, IMO this is one of the minor ones.

He was screen climbing really bad like a week ago before I finished his new enclosure now he doesn’t go on the screen. He has no ropes in his enclosure. Maybe it was the screen he was climbing on in the last enclosure. His new screen isn’t metal it’s nylon so it’s softer and if he grabs it it’ll just push the nylon out of the way and make the hole bigger so he doesn’t get stuck.
I'm sorry, I forget... Were you aware that some feeders can eat right through non-metallic screen?

My first thought was to try & find the errant claws/nails as a clue to the cause, then go from there to prevent more repeat occurrences.

Chameleons have a surprisingly strong grip—claws or not (personal experience). So strong that I think loss of a few—while concerning in the wild (high winds, driving rains, fleeing predators, etc.)—may not be as much of a concern in captivity.

As animal/chameleon disabilities go, IMO this is one of the minor ones.

I'm sorry, I forget... Were you aware that some feeders can eat right through non-metallic screen?
Yeah :D but I figured it was safer for him and it helped me see in better and I don’t let his feeders free range. I feed him and watch him the whole time. As seen here:
2363ED6D-C283-4DEA-AE1D-AC740AEBFAA0.png

I think loss of nails can effect their climbing abilities even in captivity. We’ve had a couple newbies on here before saying their chams keep falling and they had missing claws.

I think the screen wears the claws down where it contacts gradually at the same point. Eventually sawing through it which can grow back as long as the cage climbing behaviour stops. A snag & pulling of root bed of claw is permanent on other hand & risks infection at trauma site

Back
Top Bottom