Lost nail, black spots on paws and tail, numb on wrist? What is this and is it curable? PLEASE HELP

Omi

My almost one year chameleon Omi has a black spot under her paw. It looks almost infected. I think she’s pregnant too? Help needed! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

has she laid eggs before? When was the last time/how many?

With everything else... a vet needs to take a look at it & treat.

Have you had your husbandry reviewed yet? Given that I see a number of potential health problems going on, it may be a good idea.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: Veiled chameleon, almost 12 months, 8 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Everyday, we let her out to sit on a tree
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? She refuses to eat so we give her five once a week but with a lot of worms, there is no schedule
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i don't know
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We use a soft spray with water we have boiled before, as much as needed, i have never seen her drink but we spray in her mouth when she hisses at us, we also have a fountain
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? the urin: yellow ish, feces: brown and kind of hard, we have never had her in for a vet
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: No
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? combo
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? from 5 am to 9 pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? We don't
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? we dont
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? orchids
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? by the wall, we have a fan for her when shes outside her cage, we also have an air vent
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? sweden

Looks like gout in the wrist. I'm not a vet so I can't be 100% sure.

We really need more detailed answers to the questions. It's important to the health of your female.
Do you have an egglaying bin in her cage all the time now?
She looks like it's going to be a big clutch. Clutch sizes for veiled females can be controlled by the diet and temperatures...part of the reason we need more details.mlarge clutches mean she will likely develop reproductive issues and die young.

Last edited:
I also saw that you posted you aren’t sure what supplements you are using. Can you post photos of them and tell us how often you use each one? This is very important for your cham’s health and may be able to explain why she has some of these health issues.

has she looked to be pregnant for a while? If so, how long has it been? Do you have a lay bin for her (please provide details on this)?

gout, egg binding, and infections are all issues that require a vet to evaluate and treat. Changes in husbandry alone won’t reverse it.

Please see my feedback and questions in red bold.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: Veiled chameleon, almost 12 months, 8 months Does she have a lay bin?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Everyday, we let her out to sit on a tree
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? She refuses to eat so we give her five once a week but with a lot of worms, there is no schedule... She is overweight... Females have to be on a schedule. with a Certain amount of feeders. Typically 3 days a week and no more then 3 feeders each time.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i don't know. Are you not using supplements? This is extremely important for them and very important for females since they lay eggs.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We use a soft spray with water we have boiled before, as much as needed, i have never seen her drink but we spray in her mouth when she hisses at us, we also have a fountain. Your not spraying with hot water are you? Do not spray in her mouth when she hisses at you. Their airway is in the front of their mouth and you could cause her to aspirate the water. Fountains are typically breeding grounds for bacteria unless you are thoroughly cleaning it every single day. So we do not recommend them for chameleons.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? the urin: yellow ish, feces: brown and kind of hard, we have never had her in for a vet
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: No
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? combo
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? from 5 am to 9 pm. What type of lights are you using for heat and UVB?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? We don't This is important as females at basking should be no hotter then 80 F. Hotter temps and more food cause them to lay very large clutches.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? we dont Another very important thing to know. 30-50% humidity during the day and then up to 100% at night when the cage is cold and there are no lights on.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? by the wall, we have a fan for her when shes outside her cage, we also have an air vent

Can you please post pictures of the entire enclosure and the lighting? As well as the supplements?

Glad you jumped in here @Beman
I was going to get to the form questions next and you've saved me the trouble!
I just figured I would respond to those... I can't help with the health issues though. Looks like gout, she is over weight, and I am guessing that is some sort of fungal infection. Vet is really the only option for this cham.

Please see my feedback and questions in red bold.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: Veiled chameleon, almost 12 months, 8 months Does she have a lay bin?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? She refuses to eat so we give her five once a week but with a lot of worms, there is no schedule... She is overweight... Females have to be on a schedule. with a Certain amount of feeders. Typically 3 days a week and no more then 3 feeders each time.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i don't know. Are you not using supplements? This is extremely important for them and very important for females since they lay eggs.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We use a soft spray with water we have boiled before, as much as needed, i have never seen her drink but we spray in her mouth when she hisses at us, we also have a fountain. Your not spraying with hot water are you? Do not spray in her mouth when she hisses at you. Their airway is in the front of their mouth and you could cause her to aspirate the water. Fountains are typically breeding grounds for bacteria unless you are thoroughly cleaning it every single day. So we do not recommend them for chameleons.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? from 5 am to 9 pm. What type of lights are you using for heat and UVB?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? We don't This is important as females at basking should be no hotter then 80 F. Hotter temps and more food cause them to lay very large clutches.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? we dont Another very important thing to know. 30-50% humidity during the day and then up to 100% at night when the cage is cold and there are no lights on.

Can you please post pictures of the entire enclosure and the lighting? As well as the supplements?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 97
Both of your supplements have D3 in them... How often are you giving those? It should be calcium without D3 at all feedings then 2 times a month calcium with D3.

I am guessing you do not have a UVB light for her.

There is a lot that needs to be corrected with her enclosure... But honestly if you can not find a vet for her to be treated then it won't matter.

You can start reading this... It will tell you how to properly set up a chameleon enclosure and what you have to provide. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I wish you the best of luck and really hope your able to find a vet and get her treatment.

Back
Top Bottom