Looks like I will have a few baby Panther Chameleons by the end of the weekend. Will an Exo Terra work in North East US?

aapuzzo

So I have 4 eggs 2 of which just pipped ahead of when I thought they were schedule even though my house has only been in the high 60s this winter. Sorry I am asking this question because I think the answer has changed in the community over the years from when I last kept chameleons. I live in MA where it is difficult to maintain humidity in the winter. Would I be fine using a Zilla glass bow front 18x21x25 or Exoterra for a short period of time that has the front vent strip being a reptile enclosure? Years ago people would say screen enclosures all the time but I have heard opinions change over the years for colder climates. What is the word on the street these days? Exoterra's can work in cold dry climates or stay screen? Personally I like the idea of glass just so when I mist it doesn't get all over the walls. If I go screen I will cover 2 of the sides and add my mist king to a top corner.

I think you should go with a hybrid or do like you said and take a screen enclosure and cover two sides, glass wouldn't be my suggestion personally.

One problem for some is reaching/maintaining humidity. The hybrid enclosures (some now with acrylic doors in lieu of screened) can help, as can live foliage. Ventilation doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in these enclosures; as long as there's some screen toward the bottom and the top is screened, a natural chimney effect can be achieved. If not, a small muffin fan will do the job, and it doesn't have to run very often.

It is cool to see how much husbandry has adapted throughout the years since I last kept Chams as well. I have read that several renowned members on here keep their chameleons in glass terrariums/ or at least partial glass and partial screen cages with much success ( one off the top of my head is Kinyonga (I hope I spelled that correctly) if I'm not mistaken). I would err on the side of caution with my advice though since I don't have experience with hybrid or glass cages, but the idea to cover two sides of a screen cage with acrylic glass sounds harmless and might be able to really help maintain humidity in the cage for your new hatchlings. As stated above too, live plants will further help w/ this.

One problem for some is reaching/maintaining humidity. The hybrid enclosures (some now with acrylic doors in lieu of screened) can help, as can live foliage. Ventilation doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in these enclosures; as long as there's some screen toward the bottom and the top is screened, a natural chimney effect can be achieved. If not, a small muffin fan will do the job, and it doesn't have to run very often.

Is there a good link to one of these hybrids? I know of the Zoomed Reptibreeze Deluxe but I wouldn't really call that a hybrid only having one side Acrylic and I definitely wouldn't want to mist against the acrylic front because I can see it warping.

Is there a good link to one of these hybrids? I know of the Zoomed Reptibreeze Deluxe but I wouldn't really call that a hybrid only having one side Acrylic and I definitely wouldn't want to mist against the acrylic front because I can see it warping.
I like Zen Habitats. IMO they make a sturdier enclosure and better value for the money.
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/4x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosures

Back
Top Bottom