Looking to start a breeding project.

kcbunique

Hey everybody! Hope all is well. Just wanted to reach out to the community and get some feedback/input/advice on starting a breeding project. Right now I have 1 Male T. Hoehnelii (currently looking for a female). He is in a custom cage, roughly 22" x 22" x 44". Picture posted below. Right now its kind of set up as a viewer cage to look nice and be comfortable for him, I was wonder what kind of troubles I may see if I move him into a little bit smaller cage, only fake plants and a little less coverage. I figure it would be the same as when I first received him where he has to adjust and get used to his new place. If he is stressed and uncomfortable how long do you think I should wait for him to adjust before I try to introduce a female to him? I've also been looking at dragonstrand.com and their products, they actually look amazing for breeders. I haven't used or seen in person but they look like a top quality product. If anyone has any info on personal experience with these cages would love some feedback about them. I also see wire shelving units roughly 48 wide x 18 deep x 72 tall, looks like it holds 2 cages side by side and lights on top, water drainage on the bottom... Can't seem to find anything for less that $120, was hoping a simple wire shelving like this would be a little bit cheaper than that.

So with the Hoe's I know over supplementation can be an issue and I've been very strict about my males (Murphy) vitamins and minerals. When I find a female for him lets say that they do their deed and I have a gravid female within 2 weeks. Do I need to increase the amount that I am supplimenting or do I make it more frequent? For example, If I am giving her Reptivit every other day, do I now give it every day? or do I change from a light dusting to a more heavily dusted gut loaded feeder? Do females need more fatty feeders such as wax worms? or does that not matter, just stick to a regular rotation of feeders?

Is there anything special that needs to be done to her cage besides a substrate bin for laying? anything such as more UVB or hotter/cooler areas, more misting? Longer mister times or more frequent mister times?

When she is finally read to pop a squat and force this little dudes out, I know they give live births, but what I don't know is if she will remain in the foliage or if she will go down to ground level. Should I put a soft substrait down to cushion their fall if shes just plopping them or can I leave an acrylic flooring in there?

When they are birthed can I remove them right away into their own habitats? And how many can stay together for the first 3 months ish? What should babies feeding amount be? I was thinking like 2 - 3 times a day as much as they could eat? Do I suppliment for baby chams? I know they said it aids in their growth and development but should I stick to a strict gut load regiment instead of adding extra vitamins and mins that may effect them so young?

I used to work at a pet store as a kid, and I was bottom of the chain, cleaning cages, feeding, watering. All the basic husbandry work for any animals. Have always had a love for exotic animals. Hoping to start a "pet store" of my own. Would love to learn all the proper husbandry for exotics and make it out to some conventions as a breeder by the end of this year. If anyone has any husbandry information that could help me out with Herps that would be great, I've owned snakes, lizards, frogs, etc and chameleons are deffinitely on the harder side if you go into it without reading and educating yourself. If anyone has any questions on how I keep my cham I'd be glad to share, just ask. Thanks for your time everyone!

Attachments

• Murph.jpg
    Murph.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 20150516_165200.jpg
    20150516_165200.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20150516_165217.jpg
    20150516_165217.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 169
Back
Top Bottom