Looking to purchase a panther at a reptile store

Ctg

This reptile store around me is selling panther chameleons around 2 months old for $150. I am heading there tomorrow to check them out. What are some things I should look for and questions to ask? Also is $150 a good price?

Thanks!

150$ is a nice price IF the chameleons are healthy and are truly the same species they say they are.

My advice is take a picture of the panther chameleons they are selling and show us.

Do they look skinny, dehydrated, or very light/very dark in color? Second, are they truly panther chameleons (most of the time they go for up to 300$ no less)?

2 months old is a bit young especially if this is your first cham. Reputable breeders usually sell theirs at 3-4 months. Tiny hatchlings are a bit harder to acclimate, they dehydrate easier, get overheated easier, and you have to be prepared with more tiny sized feeders. I'd ask about the breeder who produced these chams and really question how they were cared for, how they are setup...supplements and nutrition...if the shop can't give you the right answers (check against this forum's husbandry standards) they may not be a great bargain. If you care about which locale you end up with make sure they can tell you whether these are crosses or not.

Ok thanks guys! I'll definitely post pics so y'all can check them out. I have had a veiled for a year then left him with my parents when I went to college. After I graduated I now have a bearded dragon, but I'm missing my chameleons!

2 months old is a bit young especially if this is your first cham. Reputable breeders usually sell theirs at 3-4 months. Tiny hatchlings are a bit harder to acclimate, they dehydrate easier, get overheated easier, and you have to be prepared with more tiny sized feeders. I'd ask about the breeder who produced these chams and really question how they were cared for, how they are setup...supplements and nutrition...if the shop can't give you the right answers (check against this forum's husbandry standards) they may not be a great bargain. If you care about which locale you end up with make sure they can tell you whether these are crosses or not.

Bottom line is this ^

If the shop cannot tell you CORRECT info on them and does not have the right care I would not risk buying them either..

I've seen shops sell panther chameleons at a similar low price, but they could not guarantee the sex of the animals. If having a specific sex (male/female) matters to you then make sure the store can provide some sort of guarantee. In our case we specifically wanted a male for the brighter colors and also so that we would not have to deal with the issues of a female becoming egg-bound or having other laying issues. We passed on a good deal because of this.

before buying watch the chams habits for a god 20 minutes, 2 months that cham should be all over the place, eyes constantly looking all over the place.

I agree with what's been said. 2 months is a little young.

The big thing is are they alert and active. Bonus points if you can actually see one eat (maybe ask the store to put fresh bugs in).

The other issue is, they may be mixes, or they may be a locale you are not really interested in. The panthers around here in pet shops mostly seem to be mixes or ambilobe. They are not cheap though, more expensive than online even or reptile shows.

Hey everyone! I ended up buying one of them. She is really cute! The owner took me to his house where he breeds them and he's got a wonderful setup and the babies were full of life. I'm very happy with my purchase! He also dropped the price down to $100 because he only had females left, at least that's what he thought.

Hey everyone! I ended up buying one of them. She is really cute! The owner took me to his house where he breeds them and he's got a wonderful setup and the babies were full of life. I'm very happy with my purchase! He also dropped the price down to $100 because he only had females left, at least that's what he thought.

excellent price

Back
Top Bottom