looking to get into crested geckos...

Rottsko

Avid Member
i've been doing my due diligence on these animals and it seems like their care is a cake walk compared to chameleons. for those of you that own and breed crested geckos, lmk your thoughts/opinions/rants/etc on them. thx!

sang

I have 6 at the moment - Mum, Dad and 4 babies, plus another 4 eggs cooking! :D Although on paper they seem easier than chams, I tend to worry about the cresties more than the chams! They like it cooler - anything at 85 or over for any length of time can kill a crestie.

I have 6 at the moment - Mum, Dad and 4 babies, plus another 4 eggs cooking! :D Although on paper they seem easier than chams, I tend to worry about the cresties more than the chams! They like it cooler - anything at 85 or over for any length of time can kill a crestie.

That's awesome! I saw your posts about them hatching :) as with my chams, these animals will be spoiled and taken care of the right way.

I'm just making threads with new pics of all the babies! This is my first year breeding mine - my male is 3 and the female almost 3. It has been the most amazing experience, and I am loving every second! :D

I'm just making threads with new pics of all the babies! This is my first year breeding mine - my male is 3 and the female almost 3. It has been the most amazing experience, and I am loving every second! :D

Congrats! Ill have to check out the new thread. So what are your opinions/thoughts on them?

The most complicated part i find is identifying the morph. There's guides to just how to name the morph in a specific order! Lol.

I love having cresties! They are nocturnal, so it means I get to spend time with them when the chams are asleep! They don't usually mind handling, especially if yu buy from a breeder rather than a pet store. I noticed a huge difference with my two - Splat, my male, came from a private breeder and was handled daily from hatching, whereas Bufie, my female, came from a larger scale breeder and was really freaked out to start with. Now, almost 3 years later she happily jumps out onto my hand. She has needed a lot of work, but she is a good Mumma Gek - having had a 100% hatch rate so far in her first season! The hardest part about breeding is the waiting for the eggs to hatch, lol! :D

Here is an older picture of one of the babies I hatched
I cant find the drive with current pictures on it

Attachments

• stubs.JPG
    stubs.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 75
I love having cresties! They are nocturnal, so it means I get to spend time with them when the chams are asleep! They don't usually mind handling, especially if yu buy from a breeder rather than a pet store. I noticed a huge difference with my two - Splat, my male, came from a private breeder and was handled daily from hatching, whereas Bufie, my female, came from a larger scale breeder and was really freaked out to start with. Now, almost 3 years later she happily jumps out onto my hand. She has needed a lot of work, but she is a good Mumma Gek - having had a 100% hatch rate so far in her first season! The hardest part about breeding is the waiting for the eggs to hatch, lol! :D

i've been researching a bunch of the breeders. i haven't found a good forum like our cf forum to get some pointers on good breeders but i've been looking on fauna and king snake and found some good reputable breeders...i think. :) at least crested gecko eggs are only up 100 days vs chameleon eggs. i can do 100 days easy but wiating is awful. LOL

Here is an older picture of one of the babies I hatched
I cant find the drive with current pictures on it

awesome candyman. looks soo cute!

Cresties are soooo easy. I feed my repashy and gut loaded crickets. I dust the crickets when needed. Put a nice little laying bin in there at all times. I have my two in a big furnished exo terra. They love it and give me eggs every couple of months.

Here is a pic of my female and one of her little babies :)

Attachments

• DSCN2492.jpg
    DSCN2492.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN2497.jpg
    DSCN2497.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 81
Cresties are soooo easy. I feed my repashy and gut loaded crickets. I dust the crickets when needed. Put a nice little laying bin in there at all times. I have my two in a big furnished exo terra. They love it and give me eggs every couple of months.

i'm excited to branch out to another reptile. imho breeding is part of the fun and breeding is just envitable. btw...that's a nice looking crestie.

if you keep the temps 70-80 the time is alot less then 100 days

i think w/ cresties, i'll get an incubator since you can sex the eggs w/ the temp of incubation.

The most complicated part i find is identifying the morph. There's guides to just how to name the morph in a specific order! Lol.

Do you have a link to these so-called guides? I thought most people just referenced the Rhacodactylus book by Vosjoli.

Oh my gosh, Sang, they are so easy to care for. My 10-year-old daughter has 2 of them. They are cute, sweet, but not active during the day like chameleons are. I don't think there could be an easier reptile to care for. They live a long time, too.

Back
Top Bottom