Looking to build a very large Pygmy habitat. Starting on it today! Need help picking a species please!

I’d like to start off by saying I’m 100% capable of caring for any of these animals. I have experience with Chams from the big guys down to the pygmys.

The absolute number 1 goal dream Pygmy is the rare and even more rarely available montane Pygmy chameleon

(Rhampholeon (Rhinodigitum) acuminatus)​

These guys are stunning,
8BD4C8C6-E2B2-4AB2-80BC-2C60E19DC88E.jpeg

and rarely available on flchams.com I just made this account and am not sure if I have access to the classifieds yet. But I am willing to pay full price for these guys and looking for 4-5. So if you have a lead on these guys or possibly are selling some yourself please don’t hesitate to drop me a line. I have money ready whenever. Also any specific care info for these guys would be awesome as I don’t actually have the specifics.
If I cannot find these guys I will “settle” still Love them but settle for any Brookesia species. I currently have a line on some Brookesia therezieni. Before I pull the trigger on them I really want to broaden my search for the Montane
I’m going to go and purchase a 30ish gallon today and begin to deck it out for the future chams.
the plan is to spray foam the back and some of the sides to get the correct structure. Then after shaving and shaping the scape. Cover with non toxic silicon and glue coco husk to it all, false bottom including a very small, filtered water feature (I know it’s been debated, some say possible repository issues/fungal, some say drowning. But I’ve learned to do it in such a way in the past with my bearded Pygmys that I know if done right it isn’t harmful. Tank will be fully planted dart frog terrarium style and have an active culture of springtails and a small isopod species to keep it healthy as well as keep the chams healthy with zero fungus or droppings around. The tank will be huge and hopefully beautiful, I will have to wait to determine the types of climbing materials and how high/low to go with them depending on the species I go with.
Long story short due to college I’ve had to get rid of most of my animals, I plan to set up a Pygmy enclosure and you’ll see another post from me here shortly discussing the other chameleon I plan to get am going to built it a new cage today as well.
If anyone has any leads on the montane pygmys (Rhampholeon (Rhinodigitum) acuminatus) please let me know. my past Pygmy enclosures were never truly planted but were done with fake plants. Beyond excited to setup this huge bioactive Pygmy enclosure and I hope you guys can help me out with some tips and advice (and maybe even a hookup on the dream species) sorry for the long winded post but thanks!

Wish I could help, good luck finding them. Let us know how it goes, would love to follow along on your project!
Thanks so much! Mini update, 40 gallon acquired along with the first plants and false bottom meterial section. Lumber and screening are for a double decker chameleon cage build to hold a dwarf Fischer’s and another guy which I haven’t decided on

You are going to have a tough time finding Rhampholeon acuminatus. There are only three private collectors (that are known) residing in Europe. They used to be popular but nobody took the time to establish them in captivity like other species.

Acuminatus are amazing little creatures, but your best chance at owning some would be if Tanzania opens back up for export. The acuminatus owners/breeders that I have been in contact with won't have any available for at least a year or two--and in very small numbers.

Rieppeleon and Rhampholeon species are very difficult to obtain, but brookesia species are starting to show up again. I think brookesia superciliaris is a spectacular species to keep!

FLChams hasn't had them for sale in years, and likely won't in the near future. The country is closed for exports. Therienzi is a cool species to keep as well. That seems like your best bet! Definitely send pics when you acquire them, I love pygmies!

Tbh, didn't read your whole post. I'll read it later. PM me if you want to see pics of acuminatus from the breeders I've been in contact with.

I'd go with the brookesia you have lined up. Otherwise you will be waiting for a long time for acuminatus.

I apologize if my thoughts seem scattered, I'm typing on my phone, not my computer, so the everything seems claustrophobic 😅

You are going to have a tough time finding Rhampholeon acuminatus. There are only three private collectors (that are known) residing in Europe. They used to be popular but nobody took the time to establish them in captivity like other species.

Acuminatus are amazing little creatures, but your best chance at owning some would be if Tanzania opens back up for export. The acuminatus owners/breeders that I have been in contact with won't have any available for at least a year or two--and in very small numbers.

Rieppeleon and Rhampholeon species are very difficult to obtain, but brookesia species are starting to show up again. I think brookesia superciliaris is a spectacular species to keep!

FLChams hasn't had them for sale in years, and likely won't in the near future. The country is closed for exports. Therienzi is a cool species to keep as well. That seems like your best bet! Definitely send pics when you acquire them, I love pygmies!

Tbh, didn't read your whole post. I'll read it later. PM me if you want to see pics of acuminatus from the breeders I've been in contact with.

I'd go with the brookesia you have lined up. Otherwise you will be waiting for a long time for acuminatus.

I apologize if my thoughts seem scattered, I'm typing on my phone, not my computer, so the everything seems claustrophobic 😅
Thanks so much for the info. I got the tank set up today and getting springtails in ASAP. I probabaly won’t have the patients to wait on acuminatus unfortunately. I’ll check my lead again and hope I can still get the Brookesia. Do you personally have any leads on Brookesia species around?

The only place that seems to reliably get in pygmies as well as other cool chameleon species is Reptiles Pet Direct. I'm sure there are other places put there, but that's the only place I'm familiar with. You might have to wait for the next madagascar import. You could call them to see when that might be. Let me know if you get an answer.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Pet-Service/Reptile-Pets-Direct-421489961248759/

View attachment 302769
View attachment 302770
Will do thank you so much

The only place that seems to reliably get in pygmies as well as other cool chameleon species is Reptiles Pet Direct. I'm sure there are other places put there, but that's the only place I'm familiar with. You might have to wait for the next madagascar import. You could call them to see when that might be. Let me know if you get an answer.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Pet-Service/Reptile-Pets-Direct-421489961248759/

View attachment 302769
View attachment 302770
Just hit them up

View attachment 302769
View attachment 302770
Sorry to keep bothering you so much. But they’re stocked on they’re website. Thank you soooooo much. I couldn’t be more excited. Can’t wait to introduce them to their new home!
3A042F8A-CEA5-4CB1-A4C2-C64173A5C971.png
4CDD9C28-8D81-43D7-ADB2-F51BFAB5FFB9.jpeg

Glad to hear that they are in stock! I might have to get some for myself since I have a 24x18x24 exo terra just lying around.

They need low levels of uvb. Do you have a uvb light for them?

Glad to hear that they are in stock! I might have to get some for myself since I have a 24x18x24 exo terra just lying around.

They need low levels of uvb. Do you have a uvb light for them?
Right now I have a full spectrum led plant grow light to help kickstart the terrarium. I have tons of uvb stuff laying around for all different levels. Just needing to get these plants a head start! Glad I went false bottom route with a small river down an siliconed branch. Background is sprayfoam with spaghnum draped over it. Got 2 bromeliads rooted to cork bark for the background coming.

Back
Top Bottom