Looking into a Panther

cantgetagoodsn

Avid Member
Hey guys, I had a Jackson's who unfortunately passed away. I should have caught the issue sooner, but I also slightly blame my vet because his original diagnosis was right, then changed his mind and ended up not doing anything for him. This time I will be better prepared (with Reptaid as a preventative measure and in case something does arise).

I have everything set up for a Jackson's and was wondering what things would need to be changed for a Panther. I am thinking Ambilobe, and eventually a Nosy Be female and cross them :) I know the temp is a little higher, and they need more supplementation than Jackson's. What else might I need to change?

Thanks guys.

Best bet is to post exactly how your setup now. So some suggestions can be given

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Jackson's Chameleon. He is about a year and a half, I've had him a little over six months.
Handling - Right now, only if I need to.
Feeding - Crickets and waxworms. He eats 3-8 every other day. I am gutloading with cricket crack.
Supplements - Reptivite of calcium, calcium with D3, and multivitamin. He gets calcium about every other feeding, and the other two once a month.
Watering - Combination of MistKing and a dripper. I see him drinking all of the time.
Fecal Description - Poop is somewhat soft. Urine is white most of the time.
History - Received him from flchams.com and have had him since.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I have a 2'x2'x4' screen cage which is always left open for free ranging.
Lighting - Reptiglo and Reptisun 5.0 linear tubes. One on top of his cage, and one on top of the free range. I have a 40W bulb for basking.
Temperature - Basking is about 84-86. Everywhere else is about 70-72. Overnight doesn't get below 65 ever. I have a digital thermo to measure temp.
Humidity - Humidity is 60%-85% most of the time. Using live plants and MistKing to regulate humidity. I use a digital gauge to measure.
Plants - Three pothos.
Placement - In my room, plenty high off the ground. 6.5 ft.
Location - Lubbock, TX.

The difference is I don't think I am going to 100% free range at first, just when I am hanging out in my room

i think you are set for a juvi to adult panther, but might need a smaller cage if you are looking inot babies... and the basking temp can be little higher aand you dont need too much humidity:)

they grow faster than jacksons:p so take alot of pics too haha

i think you are set for a juvi to adult panther, but might need a smaller cage if you are looking inot babies... and the basking temp can be little higher aand you dont need too much humidity:)

they grow faster than jacksons:p so take alot of pics too haha

that's another thing I was going to ask. I know a lot of people use rubbermaid containers for a while. Is the cage too large because they can't find their food? what If I cup fed? Or could I just use a rubbermaid container at first?

I dont believe in the "cage too large" because if that were the case, babies would never survive in the wild. If you think they are struggling to find food then cup feeding will definitely ease your mind. I've had my large cage since my veil was 3 months, and he was very small. Since then, I have done a combination of cup feeding and free roaming feeders. My chams never had a problem finding them and would often either wait for crickets to climb up near the light sources, or as soon as they spot crickets my chams would just dive down and snatch them up.

that's another thing I was going to ask. I know a lot of people use rubbermaid containers for a while. Is the cage too large because they can't find their food? what If I cup fed? Or could I just use a rubbermaid container at first?

I cup feed as well, and have had no issues. Although I have noticed Rango (exotic panther) prefers to stalk his feeders, but will still cup feed. My 2 male cages are large as well, as all 3 chams are babies. I have not had any issues and neither have they.

Thanks for the tip guys. What would you think the best way to completely clean everything in the set up left over from the previous chameleon?

Take the cage outside and spray it down with a 10 to 1 water/bleach solution in a pump sprayer scrubbing off any spots that are stuck on the cage. Then let it completely dry out. I usually rinse the plants off well and replace the rocks over the soil to get rid of any droppings that may have gotten in the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom