Looking for tips or guidance

Tylerscham

Hello I am very new to this and have never posted anything on here before and I am looking for some help if I need any

My chameleon- veiled,male, juvenile not sure exact age.

Handling-I haven’t really held him yet

Feeding- mostly crickets about 5-7

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed him

Zoo Med calcium with d3

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist him three times a day, morning evening and night.

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- i got him 3 days ago from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 5.0 uvb
Compact
100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70

Plants- no living ones

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up his cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Southeast of North America

Question- I am very new to this and I will add a picture of my cage and my chameleon. I am just wondering if there is anything I need(besides more stuff in the cage that’s coming In the mail)

Also when I bought him he was a bright green color but he has been brown for the last two days.

This is it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 115
Hello I am very new to this and have never posted anything on here before and I am looking for some help if I need any

My chameleon- veiled,male, juvenile not sure exact age.

Handling-I haven’t really held him yet

Feeding- mostly crickets about 5-7

Supplements- zoo med Repti calcium(without d3)

I dust them every time I feed him

Zoo Med calcium with d3

About once every two weeks

Watering- dripper is always on, I mist him three times a day, morning evening and night.

Fecal description- white, not been tested

History- i got him 3 days ago from petsmart

Cage

Screen

16X16X30

Lighting- Zoo Med reptisum 5.0 uvb
Compact
100W reptile bulb

8:30 AM-8:30 PM

Temperature

Basking- 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit

Bottom of cage- 75 Fahrenheit

Humidity- the meter I use always stays at 70

Plants- no living ones

Placement- near my bed, I use a fan at night but I cover up his cage with a sheet everying night to block the light

Location- Southeast of North America

Question- I am very new to this and I will add a picture of my cage and my chameleon. I am just wondering if there is anything I need(besides more stuff in the cage that’s coming In the mail)

Also when I bought him he was a bright green color but he has been brown for the last two days.
How often do you feed him? Are your crickets gutloaded with quality food, like either a quality commercial gutload, like Repashy, Cricket Crack, Pangea, or Mazuri and/or organic fresh fruits and vegetables (there’s a gutload list in food and nutrition in the resources tab)? Add more variety to his diet, like silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, the occasional superworm, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, and roaches (dubias, red runners, orange headed, and ivory headed can’t climb or fly). Phosphorous free calcium without D3 should be given every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 every two weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 every two weeks. How often are you misting each time? It needs to be at least 2 minutes but preferably 5 minutes long. He needs a bigger cage, a minimum size of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. Get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture (a Zoo Med 10.0 is great for a 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall cage). Is that a blue basking bulb? Are you sure he is a he? If you could post a pic of the back of his back feet, it would help with sexing him. Did you order more branches and vines (make sure to put most horizontal) and more plant cover?

Well I fed him until he stopped eating Elsie which was 6 crickets, and the gutload is “Total Bites” I also put some apples and carrots in with it. And I have some live insects coming in the mail. I bought some hornworms but they are way too big for him. And the calcium With d3 says it’s phosphorus free and the misting I was doing about 1 minuet and 30 seconds. And the basking bulb is white and I’ll get a picture of his back feet

Well I fed him until he stopped eating Elsie which was 6 crickets, and the gutload is “Total Bites” I also put some apples and carrots in with it. And I have some live insects coming in the mail. I bought some hornworms but they are way too big for him. And the calcium With d3 says it’s phosphorus free and the misting I was doing about 1 minuet and 30 seconds. And the basking bulb is white and I’ll get a picture of his back feet
Feed in the morning so he has a chance to digest his food while basking during the second half of the day. I’m not great with ages, so maybe someone else can help you with that. Once you know the approximate age, the care sheet has the appropriate amount of feeders and whether to feed him daily or every other day. The Total Bites gutload is crap, use a quality commercial gutload, like Mazuri, Cricket Crack, Repashy, or Pangea, and/or organic fresh fruits and veggies (here in the resources tab, click on food and nutrition and scroll down until you find the gutload list). You still need a multivitamin. I can’t definitively tell the sex from that pic, but maybe someone else can

Feed in the morning so he has a chance to digest his food while basking during the second half of the day. I’m not great with ages, so maybe someone else can help you with that. Once you know the approximate age, the care sheet has the appropriate amount of feeders and whether to feed him daily or every other day. The Total Bites gutload is crap, use a quality commercial gutload, like Mazuri, Cricket Crack, Repashy, or Pangea, and/or organic fresh fruits and veggies (here in the resources tab, click on food and nutrition and scroll down until you find the gutload list). You still need a multivitamin. I can’t definitively tell the sex from that pic, but maybe someone else can
Well I see two little spurs, and I have a multivitamin but it has d3 and phosphorus in it

Well I see two little spurs, and I have a multivitamin but it has d3 and phosphorus in it
If the spurs are non existent or little , it’s most likely a female, and if the spurs are prominent, then it’s a male. If you have a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med’s Reptivite with D3), then use that twice monthly and plain calcium every feeding, don’t use calcium with D3 at all.

I would also get him tested and checked out by a vet just to be on the safe side once hes settled in since hes a petsmart cham, they tend to sell sick animals, he is probably a he because I think I see a little spur but you should also start feeding a variety of stuff like hornworms, silk worms, butter worms superworms roaches and NOT mealworms get him used to the occasional worm, although worms are high in fat so don't feed too often.

I would also get him tested and checked out by a vet just to be on the safe side once hes settled in since hes a petsmart cham, they tend to sell sick animals, he is probably a he because I think I see a little spur but you should also start feeding a variety of stuff like hornworms, silk worms, butter worms superworms roaches and NOT mealworms get him used to the occasional worm, although worms are high in fat so don't feed too often.
While worms are high in fat, silks are extremely healthy and horns are great for hydration! Superworms should only be occasional variety and not a staple. I listed some more great feeders above

agreed, but chams seem to want to do anything for a hornworm :ROFLMAO:
While worms are high in fat, silks are extremely healthy and horns are great for hydration! Superworms should only be occasional variety and not a staple. I listed some more great feeders above

If the spurs are non existent or little , it’s most likely a female, and if the spurs are prominent, then it’s a male. If you have a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med’s Reptivite with D3), then use that twice monthly and plain calcium every feeding, don’t use calcium with D3 at all.
Even if my multivitamin has phosphorus in it?

It’s called Fluker Reptile Vitamin with beta carotene
I personally have never used it, but that doesn’t make it bad, unless someone else chimes in otherwise. I use lots of different supplements rotated out every few months, when it’s time for calcium with and without D3 and a multivitamin, I use either Zoo Med calcium without D3 and Reptivite with D3 or Repashy plain calcium and multivitamin and Zoo Med calcium with D3

Back
Top Bottom