Looking for tips on getting cham to try new food

KingJulien

My chameleon is reluctant to eat any roaches. I put two in his feeder cup and he won't touch them, though he does notice them moving around.

Any tips?

You can take tongs and try to pick the roaches up and move it around in front of him that might work,
but some times chams just dont like a certain type of feeder.
Pedro HATES and will never eat hornworm ever in his life. LOL

I just received my ambanja yesterday and i have left dubias in his feeding cup, he has yet to touch one yet.. hopefully its just because he is adjusting to his new home and learning his surroundings/where and what the feeder cup actually is (took my old veiled a few days to figure it out then it was like a field day), because i have a whole dubia colony lol.

You can take tongs and try to pick the roaches up and move it around in front of him that might work,
but some times chams just dont like a certain type of feeder.
Pedro HATES and will never eat hornworm ever in his life. LOL

Never say never Ashley, LOL - my panther wouldn't eat a dubia or cricket for a year and would only eat worms. He is now eating crickets and dubias again.

gaxmode I just received my ambanja yesterday and i have left dubias in his feeding cup, he has yet to touch one yet.. hopefully its just because he is adjusting to his new home and learning his surroundings/where and what the feeder cup actually is (took my old veiled a few days to figure it out then it was like a field day), because i have a whole dubia colony lol.

It probably is because you just got him. Not sure how old he is, but I would take them out and not offer any feeders for a day or so and then try.Just make sure he has plenty of dripping water

LOL!
Maybe I should try again Ive tried like a million times to get him to eat them but dang it i feel like im throwing money away :p

LOL!
Maybe I should try again Ive tried like a million times to get him to eat them but dang it i feel like im throwing money away :p

Well definetly don't throw your money away, there are other feeders. It's just funny because I thought Rocko would "never" eat anything but supers, horns and silks, but he grew out of it.:D

The roaches seem to want to sit still or hide.
I found if I shook the cup till one was on his back wiggling his legs my guys could not resist.
Good luck!

L
I found if I shook the cup till one was on his back wiggling his legs my guys could not resist.
Good luck!

Dr Dre is 12 weeks. My feeding container has metal screen hot glued to the back to promote the roaches to crawl up and down. But they do tend to stay still a lot more than crickets.

Good luck!

I wish! My little guy prefers to eat when I'm not looking, unless he's really hungry. If I reached in and shook his cup he would eye me for a minute before he went back to the cup. By then the roach would have flipped.

I tried putting two in the regular cup I have, dangled from his vine instead of the fancy feeder cup with mesh on the back and a hole cut in the side. They are gone, but I don't know if he ate them or if they escaped. I put another in...I guess I have to wait and see.

I finally got my hornworms and silkworms today and surprisingly my cham was very hesitant to eat either of them. Maybe because both seemed half dead but idk. though after eating two silkies and a hornworm i dropped 3 crickets in and she tore them up as fast as usual. Which is weird because a lot of people report that their chams stop eating crickets once they taste other feeders, and mine seems to prefer them. Only other feeder she goes nuts for are waxworms. My baby beardie loved the silkworms though!

Back
Top Bottom