Looking for ideas on RO setup! Want to catch "waste water" for garden. Ideas and pics appreciated!

blue_cham

Established Member
Hi all!

I've gotten away with tap water in my mist king bc it's very soft. But I want to invest in RO system for chams and aquarium. Reason I've avoided so long is the water waste, especially in California is big deal. Wondering if there are people out there that do resivoirs for their RO systems so that the waste water can be used in the garden. Anyone out there do this? Also, ideas on filling the mist bucket resivoir without luging 5 gallon buckets. As the RO system will likely be behind the garage (next to garden). Is running a line to chams possible/plausible??

Thanks all!

I have collected my ro waist water in the past and used it for various things like watering house plants or even doing laundry. I just used a float valve and a large food grade barrel to collect the waist water, then a pump to fill the washer or a bucket for whatever I needed it for. At the time I had a 400gal+ reef system and made a lot of water and hated waisting so much water because my town charges way to much for water and sewerage.

How did the float valve work? (I'm mean I know HOW they work, lol). I'm assuming your waste water line ran thru float to keep barrel from over filling?

If that's what I'm understanding... What happens when float shuts off the flow, but you are still "making" water?

Thanks!

I want to invest in RO system for chams and aquarium. Reason I've avoided so long is the water waste, especially in California is big deal.
Would a distillation system be more practical for you? ?‍♂️
AFAIK, distillation has no filters or membranes to replace (though the reservoir does need to be cleaned periodically of scale) and produces no wastewater.

How did the float valve work? (I'm mean I know HOW they work, lol). I'm assuming your waste water line ran thru float to keep barrel from over filling?

If that's what I'm understanding... What happens when float shuts off the flow, but you are still "making" water?

Thanks!
Actually I used a auto topoff system for reef tanks.
http://autotopoff.com/

Back
Top Bottom