Looking for A Fresh Start

CrazyChamLady13

Good afternoon...

Well... I have to say that I have several years experience in all types of pets. I used to catch the western fence lizards (blue bellies), snakes, bugs, etc. I was raised around horses and cattle most of my live. My first store bought lizard was an iguana when I was in Jr high.

Joined the military and meet my husband. Our first pet together was a hermit crab that sadly my roommate killed by leaving the window open when I wasn't there one night (Fort Drum NY get extremely cold at night in the winter). My husband left for deployment and I moved in with his family where I couldn't have any pets. Husband returned from deployment and our reptile addiction exploded. We had a kingsnake, ball python, red ear slider, and a cat traveling to AZ where we stayed for 4 years. We bought our first chameleon last year but unfortunately events made us re-home most of our pets.

So, we're looking for a fresh start sometime at the end of this year or next year. I'm looking into getting everything together and put together by then. But for now I'll be lurking.

As I'm thinking about it, I was wondering this: I know that the recommended enclosure size is 24"x24"x48" but would a 24"x32"x48" be big enough?

And if I were eventually planning on breeding.. male or female first? Think I read something that males mature faster than females. Just making sure I read it correctly.

Thanks again for looking...

Oh... and I can't make up my mind between panther or veiled

Hi and welcome!

The species will depend pretty much on what you're going to be happiest living with for the next 3-6 years! Their care is very similar, so for most people it comes down to price and preference.

We tend to recommend males first because it lets you get a handle on chameleon care without the added stress of egg-laying (which females do even without being mated) but if this isn't your first chameleon then perhaps that's up to your best judgement. But it's true that while a male is ready to mate at only a few months of age, it's best to let a female reach a year before breeding her, so she and her eggs aren't competing for the same resources (eggs are a heavy toll on calcium, for example.)

And yes, that cage would be perfect. The bigger the better, really! There's no reason it can't be wider than the recommended minimum.

:) ok. Might just make 30"x30"x48". Planning on making an entertainment center with the chameleon enclosures to the sides, TV inthe middle on top of a either bearded dragon enclosure of snake enclosure. This will take a few months to complete

:) ok. Might just make 30"x30"x48". Planning on making an entertainment center with the chameleon enclosures to the sides, TV inthe middle on top of a either bearded dragon enclosure of snake enclosure. This will take a few months to complete

Just be aware that many herps are sensitive to low frequency sound, so if that entertainment center will have serious bass or woofers it could annoy them housed right next to them.

I've started picking up some plants for the enclosure. Found a interesting umbrella tree with green and white leaves, and a ficus that was on clearance. Going to nurse them back to full health and get them growing for when I do get my chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom