Looking for a breeder NYS

ItsMike64

Established Member
Hey!

I've been researching and preparing to get a chameleon and wanted to know if anyone has any reputable suggested breeders that are either in or ship to New York State? I really like the look and size of Senegal, Rudis, and Flap Necks, but from what I've gathered thus far a lot of the larger places that sell them are wild caught and to steer clear of them (is this true?). I've looked over the sponsors but most seem to only offer panthers and veiled, which I don't mind, but like I said I like the looks and size of the others. Suggestions/advise/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello!

There are no rudis nor flap necks (dilepis) available in the US currently, they haven't been brought in some time, and back in the day, were always wild caught anyway. Some folks are breeding them in other countries but very rare to find in captivity these days. Senegals are, as a rule of thumb, always wild caught. A few people are breeding them as passion projects, but since they're so cheap there's minimal incentive to put the effort into breeding them. I wouldn't get a wild caught chameleon for your first one.

If you want a smaller species, I would recommend Trioceros ellioti, Trioceros hoehnellii, or furcifer lateralis. Some folks including myself produce all of these beautiful species captive bred, which makes an incredible world of difference and ensures a much better experience. Definitely a better idea to get captive bred chameleons for your first, and none of the species you list above are available (at all) or available captive bred.

Most breeders can easily ship to New York state. They can be shipped to a fedex hub there for pickup which keeps them safer since they won't be out on a delivery truck for as long in the cold.

Hello!

There are no rudis nor flap necks (dilepis) available in the US currently, they haven't been brought in some time, and back in the day, were always wild caught anyway. Some folks are breeding them in other countries but very rare to find in captivity these days. Senegals are, as a rule of thumb, always wild caught. A few people are breeding them as passion projects, but since they're so cheap there's minimal incentive to put the effort into breeding them. I wouldn't get a wild caught chameleon for your first one.

If you want a smaller species, I would recommend Trioceros ellioti, Trioceros hoehnellii, or furcifer lateralis. Some folks including myself produce all of these beautiful species captive bred, which makes an incredible world of difference and ensures a much better experience. Definitely a better idea to get captive bred chameleons for your first, and none of the species you list above are available (at all) or available captive bred.

Most breeders can easily ship to New York state. They can be shipped to a fedex hub there for pickup which keeps them safer since they won't be out on a delivery truck for as long in the cold.
Thank you for your fast response and for the helpful info! It's a bummer that rudis and flap necks aren't sold or bred in the US, they're really pretty looking animals! As for the species you suggested, do you have any recommended breeders or places I could get one from?

Chameleonbros is the only one I know of that carries other charms other than veilds and panthers and are reputable. They do not do wild caught either and they breed everything they sell and have great reviews. They have a few helmeted right now but I know they update their site pretty regularly and I’m sure u can message them on IG to see what else they got. They have some stunning charms!

Well sure, I have a bit of conflict of interest because I breed all 3 species and have juveniles available for all of them now. But so that you can research other breeders and make an informed decision, you can check out the following breeders, on facebook or online.

1) Ellioti (just me I believe currently, but can also ask McZoo exotics on facebook)

2) Hoehnelii (myself, McZoo exotics on facebook, west coast chameleon bros)

3) F. lateralis (myself, Living art by Frank Payne, Tim Marks on facebook).

There are facebook groups for all three species as well, which sometimes people post availability on, and some might be posted there not from the breeders I mention above. The forums are a great place as well though, and might give more in-depth information overall.

Back
Top Bottom