lookin for variety

helpme

lookin for something different for my veiled cham. like grasshoppers, or praying mantis or stick bugs ......
he is sick of the silkworms and hornworms. and of course I just
stocked up on silkworm chow. grrr
only eating crickets right now.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

My veiled seems to really like Dubia Roaches. She would rather have crickets (I think she just likes the hunt) but she loves roaches too! They are super easy to keep and easy to gut load.

dubia roaches

Im scared of the roaches. I've tried a couple of them and prefer to put in a feeding cup to keep track of em. I certainly don't want those things escaping ! eew. Only problem is He doesn't like the feeding cup. he likes the hunt. Do you use the feeding cup or just throw the roaches in to free roam ?

I cup feed the roaches - which is why she would rather have the crickets I think. We have always free range fed her until we tried roaches so it took her a while to understand that the cup had food in it for her. The first time she cup fed it took her about an hour to finally go down and eat some. I have the opposite problem that you do - I can take anything that crawls butI can't tolerate jumping crickets so when I'm the feeder she gets roaches... my boyfriend does the crickets. :)

I love the dubias, crickets jump, and die...dubias cant even get out of a glass I scoop them up in. and dust them and pour them into the plant...my baby chames grew huge when I added dubia. That and they get loose, I find them dead...which is odd. You could probably cup feed dubias if the sides were slick

some ideas for you:

Terrestrial isopods (captive bred)
snails (captive bred)
termites (wild caught, collected away from human populations)
Blue bottle flies (captive cultured)
Moths (wc)
soldier fly maggots (aka calci worms or phoenix worms)
Butterworms
superworms (aka kingworms)
least skipper

Black soldier fly

I had sum reptiworms that turned into black soldier flies. Everyday I find about 5 on the window. He loves them !! Eats them immediately !! So far he doesn't like the roaches. So for now he is on crickets, silk worms, these soldier flies and once a week a hornworm . Does that sound like enuf variety ?

I had sum reptiworms that turned into black soldier flies. Everyday I find about 5 on the window. He loves them !! Eats them immediately !! So far he doesn't like the roaches. So for now he is on crickets, silk worms, these soldier flies and once a week a hornworm . Does that sound like enuf variety ?

Why only once a week for the hornworms?

Hornworms

I only do the hornworm once a week because he gets to where that is all he wants to eat . Also I was told Hornworms are very high in protein but also high in fat, Silkworms are high in calcium and lower in fat . Am I doing it wrong ? You guys know more than me . Note my name helpme. Lol this forum is great for info

Oh jeez... I just ordered some Hornworms.... I sure hope my cham doesn't start only wanting those! haha! I get roaches from a local lady by me for dirt cheap - way cheaper than the worms are. I'll have to test the waters on that. I would be careful giving them something to where it turns into "the only thing they want" because they can and will go on hunger strikes until they are either starving or you feed them what they want.

Hornworms are not high in fat. They are actually a very good feeder to add as part of your rotation. Great Lakes hornworms had nutritional analysis done by a proper lab and found the following:

Protein: 9%
fat: 3.07%
Calcium: 46.4mg/100g
Moisture: 85%

They are a good addition and also a great way to keep your reptiles hydrated given their moisture content. They make up an average of 20% of my chameleons diet.

Back
Top Bottom