Lookin' for a panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo

Looking for a young male panther (ambilobe, ambanja, sambava) in the Southern California area. I'm a college student so I don't have a ton of money to fork out. I have done extensive research in the upbringing of chams and will meticulously care for him.

Thanks,

Steve

Yeah, I've checked their site. Still a little pricey for me right now, I know it's going to be a stretch finding anything cheaper but like I said, I would rather not fork out $300 at the moment. That's not to say that I do not have enough money to take proper care of one, it's just a bit too much for an initial investment right now.

Thanks for the reply.

I hear yea... Then take a look at LLLreptile.com and reptiledepot.com they will have them at less the cost of a breeder... The Depot is in SoCal I think...

You could also check the recycler every week. I got a sick deal from a private breeder in LA on a blue bar ambilobe that in the last weeks has been turning out amazing. I know he will have some in the next months, just dont know if he will post them on the interweb. Other than that, I from what I heard, LLL gets some of they're stock from him and I've been in their shop and would buy from them.

I checked it out and still everything was selling for $300. Had some morphs for $200 but that's it.

Make craigslist your new best friend, just be weary of scams and never show up at any transaction alone, or without a cell phone. That having been said, I purchased my second Nosy be from a local breeder i found on craigslist for a meager 50 bucks! Granted the little guy was only a month old when i got him, i was willing to take my chances and put my cham skills to the test! I can gladly say that he is now about 3 months old and doing great! I would say that give or take, there is usually at least 1 panther chameleon on craigslist at any-given time (at least in the SF, Sac location). Usually the people selling them are not breeders, and seem to want to prophet from them, rather then cut their losses and give them a new home. However, that doesn't mean that you cant find a steal like i did.

-Cala-

I would like to caution you if you are a "poor college student" in owning a chameleon. If you are not willing to spend 300 bucks on a cham, im worried for you on your first vet trip. You might want to look into the financial obligations a bit more prior to purchasing these animals. It sounds like you will have your husbandry down, but trust me when i say these are not cheap animals to take care of. Vet bills alone will exceede 300 in quite a hurry.

Sometimes things go wrong with them even despite the best husbandry pratices. Just be prepared is all.

Best of luck!!

I've actually successfully raised a veiled before, therefore I know the costs associated with their upbringing (though I never had to make a trip to the vet). I just would like to find something that is not $300. That's not to say I can't afford vet trips upwards of $300, just an initial investment of $300 is a bit steep for me, just my preference. You could call it the opportunity cost of $300 spent on a new cham.

Thanks for the advise.

-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom