Locale of my new Cham?

williamsrx

Hi all, another newbie here, but very excited about keeping this newly rehomed chameleon. This is Louie, and he is 11 months old and was purchased at Screameleons. I became his new home after his previous owner was moving into an apartment and couldn't keep him anymore. I "think" he is a blue bar Ambanja, but can anyone with more experience confirm that? I've had him for a week today, and he still must be stressed because he will rarely eat free range, he prefers to eat from my hand actually. Maybe his previous owner just spoiled him, lol. I have gotten him to cup feed, as I was told he was trained to do that, but he won't always show interest.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have found this forum, and I've barely cracked the surface of what I can learn here, so thanks in advance for all the great advice that is given here!
Chris Williams (and Louie)

Attachments

• 4CDW0125small.jpg
    4CDW0125small.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 4CDW0127small.jpg
    4CDW0127small.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 253
He looks good!! Welcome Chris!

Donno, but that name sounds familiar. Was the previous owner a member here?

I'd also guess BB Ambilobe

Wow, the guy acted like he was feeding 10 large crickets every day, so I've been hand feeding him that. He never turns down a cricket that I put in my hand, but maybe that's just prey drive. I created a cup system where he can just fire away on a cut out milk jug that has screen on it, but the crickets just sit there and he shows no interest in that yet. It might just take some time for him to catch on to that.

Wow, the guy acted like he was feeding 10 large crickets every day, so I've been hand feeding him that. He never turns down a cricket that I put in my hand, but maybe that's just prey drive. I created a cup system where he can just fire away on a cut out milk jug that has screen on it, but the crickets just sit there and he shows no interest in that yet. It might just take some time for him to catch on to that.

It can take chams several weeks to catch onto cup feeding. at least it did for my guys.

If hes hungry he will eat, if he isnt, he wont. If he truly is only 11 months, hes still a growing boy.

My guess is Ambanja.....Try holding a mirror up and get him to fire his hidden colors, That should give us a better look;) & take another pic for us to see

Hey I think I know what guy you got.... I almost got him!!! Is he from the kid in Bloomington area??? If so I still have some awesome photos on my phone of him!! :)

Hey I think I know what guy you got.... I almost got him!!! Is he from the kid in Bloomington area??? If so I still have some awesome photos on my phone of him!! :)

and it's all coming together!! .....

PS: on 2nd look, i think he is an Ambanja. Has he fired up at all while in your care?

Last edited:
My guess would be Sambava or red bar Ambilobe. The rostral just doesnt seem to ambajaish to me but Im not an expet either.

welcome to the forums you came to the right place to get any advice these ppl really help alot food questions ma benifit u to look at sandrachameleons blogs ive recently been thumbing thru them and speaking a little with her she knows it all or most all and her info is more then enough. i dont know the different kinds of chams yet wish i did but im working on it. it also wouldnt hurt to fill out an how to ask for help form just to let ppl look over your conditions to make suggestions. just a thought. hope you enjoy your pretty boy

You stole my thunder Jared. Its a sambava, look at the U bar and the coloration is typical of a relaxed sambava. Rostral isnt big or flat enuff to be an ambanja.

Op you didnt get any bloodline info? Typically someone who purchases a screameleons cham knows the sire & lineage info. I know Vince is usually pretty good at posting all that on his ads. The seller didnt give you the sires name or locale?

It is him! We should compare notes maybe.... Why didn't you get him? He's doing well and appears to have been well cared for but when I asked the kid why Screameleons had no record of him purchasing this guy he never responded to my texts.

and it's all coming together!! .....

PS: on 2nd look, i think he is an Ambanja. Has he fired up at all while in your care?

I am going to fire him up tonight to see what happens. I thought I had fired him up before but he never got too orange or yellow, although his face does fire a lot of orange. Since I didn't have another chameleon (til last night), the mirror was the only thing I could do. I'll put him in the bathroom and see what that mirror does for him...

Hmm I don't know... sounded legit to me. I didn't get him because I already have money tied up in getting supplies and Veiled, Sambava, and my Ambilobe should arrive mid January... just wanted to concentrate on those for now. He told me Gavin was the sire. Ok we can compare notes but lets do it privately.

I have other photos he sent I can try to post them to this thread for ID if you would like for the opinion of members with more local experience.

I am going to fire him up tonight to see what happens. I thought I had fired him up before but he never got too orange or yellow, although his face does fire a lot of orange. Since I didn't have another chameleon (til last night), the mirror was the only thing I could do. I'll put him in the bathroom and see what that mirror does for him...

Well after hearing that. I'm going with these guys vvvv lmao.

PS: Don't stress him too much in the process.

My guess would be Sambava or red bar Ambilobe. The rostral just doesnt seem to ambajaish to me but Im not an expet either.

Looks like a Sambava, although another picture would help. From the angles you gave, he looks to have the classic Sambava 'U' bar.

-Jake

You stole my thunder Jared. Its a sambava, look at the U bar and the coloration is typical of a relaxed sambava. Rostral isnt big or flat enuff to be an ambanja.

Op you didnt get any bloodline info? Typically someone who purchases a screameleons cham knows the sire & lineage info. I know Vince is usually pretty good at posting all that on his ads. The seller didnt give you the sires name or locale?

Hmm I don't know... sounded legit to me. I didn't get him because I already have money tied up in getting supplies and Veiled, Sambava, and my Ambilobe should arrive mid January... just wanted to concentrate on those for now. He told me Gavin was the sire. Ok we can compare notes but lets do it privately.

I have other photos he sent I can try to post them to this thread for ID if you would like for the opinion of members with more local experience.

I would believe that Gavin is the sire, he looks a lot like him!

I'll PM you with my info and we can talk offline..

Back
Top Bottom