Locale of my new Cham?

Go back and really look at ambanjas. This guy doesnt have have the characteristics of a typical ambanja. The seller may have misrepresented him while attempting to sell this guy. ;)

You stole my thunder Jared. Its a sambava, look at the U bar and the coloration is typical of a relaxed sambava. Rostral isnt big or flat enuff to be an ambanja.

Op you didnt get any bloodline info? Typically someone who purchases a screameleons cham knows the sire & lineage info. I know Vince is usually pretty good at posting all that on his ads. The seller didnt give you the sires name or locale?

What's a U bar?
Unfortunately I didn't think to ask for bloodline info but K9 did when she looked at him and he said Ambanja from sire Gavan at Screameleons, hatch date Dec 2010. Is there more of a difference between locales than just coloring?

This is great dialogue, lots of learning here, thanks again forum!

A U bar is the shape their side bars take. Let me explain with photos! With the help of the Screameleon's gallery:

This chameleon displays what you call a typical "Y" bar. See it? It would be the first real bar. http://screameleons.com/chameleon-breeder/ambilobe-brendan/

This other guy shows a "U" bar instead. http://screameleons.com/chameleon-breeder/sambava-sam150/ See how it doesn't have the line that drops down?

Some locales, like Ambanjas have physical differences as well. These have a slightly bigger rostral bit than other locales. Their casque is usually a bit taller. My ambanja mix definitely has a taller casque but since he's a cross, I won't post a pic of him to compare because he's not a classic example.

You stole my thunder Jared. Its a sambava, look at the U bar and the coloration is typical of a relaxed sambava. Rostral isnt big or flat enuff to be an ambanja.

Op you didnt get any bloodline info? Typically someone who purchases a screameleons cham knows the sire & lineage info. I know Vince is usually pretty good at posting all that on his ads. The seller didnt give you the sires name or locale?

Agreed TPM! That was my first thought when my boy is relaxed. The green with the dark bars and the u bar of course.

Agreed TPM! That was my first thought when my boy is relaxed. The green with the dark bars and the u bar of course.

OK, here are a couple more pix, and if I'm correct isn't that a Y bar? Does this change anyone's opinions? I was not expecting to have 2 Sambavas now, even though I know they will still look different....lol

Attachments

• 4CDW0147.jpg
    4CDW0147.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 117
  • 4CDW0149.jpg
    4CDW0149.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 4CDW0157.jpg
    4CDW0157.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 115
well now.....I guess it is not a true "u" bar. My chameleon is Sambava and has a "w" bar which some of them have also.It has it on both sides though, and yours does not The thing that is throwing me, is the dark green. Never seen an Ambanja that dark green. Not saying it cannot be. So you did not get directly from Screameleons then? I mean if the person you got if from says that is what the breeder sold it as then I guess I would have to believe it. Why don't you contact Screamelons and show them the pic and get their opinion. Maybe the mystery would be solved for good then. my sambava also has the orangy throat like yours when not fired up.

I won't weigh in on what he is, but he is certainly awesome looking! Love that shade of green, super intense.

well now.....I guess it is not a true "u" bar. My chameleon is Sambava and has a "w" bar which some of them have also.It has it on both sides though, and yours does not The thing that is throwing me, is the dark green. Never seen an Ambanja that dark green. Not saying it cannot be. So you did not get directly from Screameleons then? I mean if the person you got if from says that is what the breeder sold it as then I guess I would have to believe it. Why don't you contact Screamelons and show them the pic and get their opinion. Maybe the mystery would be solved for good then. my sambava also has the orangy throat like yours when not fired up.

I bought him from a young guy that said he got him from Screameleons, and the binder he gave me had a care sheet for Ambanja. It looked like one he printed from the internet though, so I don't think that came with the shipment. Where it got weird was when I asked Screameleons who his sire was and gave the kids name, and they said they had no record of that customer. I then texted him and asked him if it would be under another name and he has never answered me, and I've followed up a few times. Hence the curiosity and not being able to know for sure, but you guys have provided great arguments so I guess we will always speculate. I am amazed by his greens and his bars go to almost black when he's basking. He is also incredibly docile, I've never seen him gape or hiss, he always climbs onto me whenever I handle him, but he's very busy when I have him. He never stops moving, which might be normal, I've not had another one to compare. I put him in front of the bathroom mirror and he seemed to not even pay attention to his reflection, he just wanted to move up my arm. His colors just seem to get more intense when he's out, but he doesn't shift to orange and yellow or anything (except that orange on his throat).

What's up with his eyes?

I doubt the order would be under a kids name (what exactly is your definition of a "kid?") What would be better to ask screameleons is which clutches were born around when he was born since you know that general time.

I bought him from a young guy that said he got him from Screameleons, and the binder he gave me had a care sheet for Ambanja. It looked like one he printed from the internet though, so I don't think that came with the shipment. Where it got weird was when I asked Screameleons who his sire was and gave the kids name, and they said they had no record of that customer. I then texted him and asked him if it would be under another name and he has never answered me, and I've followed up a few times. Hence the curiosity and not being able to know for sure, but you guys have provided great arguments so I guess we will always speculate. I am amazed by his greens and his bars go to almost black when he's basking. He is also incredibly docile, I've never seen him gape or hiss, he always climbs onto me whenever I handle him, but he's very busy when I have him. He never stops moving, which might be normal, I've not had another one to compare. I put him in front of the bathroom mirror and he seemed to not even pay attention to his reflection, he just wanted to move up my arm. His colors just seem to get more intense when he's out, but he doesn't shift to orange and yellow or anything (except that orange on his throat).

my chams bars go kinda blackish when he basks also. The good thing is, if he is sambava, they fire up really pretty yellow and orange and red! Now you gotta figure out a way to fire him up. My guy is docile too. I just found out a pink towel will do the trick and of all things my lawnmower!!!

What's up with his eyes?

I doubt the order would be under a kids name (what exactly is your definition of a "kid?") What would be better to ask screameleons is which clutches were born around when he was born since you know that general time.

I wondered about his eyes too, they've always looked that way, it's like he has bags under his eyes... they don't seem to bother him, but I'm not sure that he sees normally because he misses a lot and since I've had him I've done all the supplements correctly, so maybe he had an issue before that he didn't tell me about.
The kid is about 18 or 19.... that's a kid to me since I'm 42..lol I did send a note to Screameleons with the approximate clutch date and "claimed" sire to see if they can verify.

You know I was thinking about that too. It was probably ordered and paid by credit card so might be in the parents name. I know when I was corresponding with him.. it didn't take him any time to think of answers... it really sounded as if he was on the up and up. Let me know what you find out

I wondered about his eyes too, they've always looked that way, it's like he has bags under his eyes... they don't seem to bother him, but I'm not sure that he sees normally because he misses a lot and since I've had him I've done all the supplements correctly, so maybe he had an issue before that he didn't tell me about.
The kid is about 18 or 19.... that's a kid to me since I'm 42..lol I did send a note to Screameleons with the approximate clutch date and "claimed" sire to see if they can verify.

our member Ace had an issue with his one cham having the bags. I don't think it was anything serious, but I am not sure if it ever corrected itself either. Ace, if you see this please respond! You can shoot Ace a pm (private message) also if you want to talk to him.

Back
Top Bottom