local anesthesia??

danielle609

Established Member
Has anyone ever had to put their chameleon under sedation? I am starting to get paranoid because tomorrow morning my new chameleon with be put under by isoflurane(I think?) I have heard horror stories, but I would like to be put at rest to believe that he will be okay. He will only be under for like 15 minutes. Please let me know what you guys think...especially the experts and veternarians...I would appreciate any comments!! Thanks!

Since I deal with quite a few wC's I have had a few that have had to have surgery...until the last few years they were always put under with isoflurine. I don't think any of them had a problem with it.

They now use sevoflurane and I have some...but I don't know if it was due to their health issues or not.

I take it your vet is doing this? (The way you worded it I'm not sure that's what you mean.)
Good luck!

Since I deal with quite a few wC's I have had a few that have had to have surgery...until the last few years they were always put under with isoflurine. I don't think any of them had a problem with it.

They now use sevoflurane and I have some...but I don't know if it was due to their health issues or not.

I take it your vet is doing this? (The way you worded it I'm not sure that's what you mean.)
Good luck!

Yes, the vet is doing this :) So then you you are fairly comfortable with the isoflurine? I think he will be under in an hour or so, so I hope it all goes okay! but thanks for the comment...it makes me feel much better!

Mine also has to go under in the morning for palate surgery, he's getting an abcess that won't heal sealed. Vega has been under once before without complications, which I believe are extremely rare for healthy animals (you'd have abot the same chance as winning the lottery). Good luck, I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Mine also has to go under in the morning for palate surgery, he's getting an abcess that won't heal sealed. Vega has been under once before without complications, which I believe are extremely rare for healthy animals (you'd have abot the same chance as winning the lottery). Good luck, I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Thanks Ibseok. I hope everything goes well with your chameleon as well!! Do you remember what they used to sedate him??

Glad everything went well for you, it did for me also! Well sorta..the anesthesia was fine, but unfortunatley he is blind, and will be for the rest of his life. But he still seems to be doing fine otherwise...so he just gets to be lazy the rest of his life :)

What happened to him? And why did he need surgery? I would imagine you will have to hand feed him? Sorry to hear that, but at least he is still with you.

Debby

Kinyonga, I am also getting in alot of w/c, as you know. What problems have you had that require surgery? Sorry to steal the post.

Debby

Regarding the first post. This is what is mentioned in a different thread by Pardalis Girl:

In the beginning I used to have my vet take the worms out. He would put the cham totally out and remove them. He did it to several chams with no ill effect. Macondo, my Avatar had it done twice. Then I took a WC Sambava in for the same procedure. He never woke up from the anesthesia. After that I started taking them out myself with no anesthetic.

She doesn't specify what anesthetic drug was used for the procedure. Now the title of this thread is "local anesthesia"; which means the chameleon will be awake and the area to be operated on is put under local anesthesia. However, everybody is talking about general anesthesia which means total unconsciousness of the patient.

That said; is it possible operate on a cham under local anesthesia, for example to remove subcutaneous parasites as opposed to using no anesthetic?

Actually Vertex you are 100% correct, what I was talking about would be considered general not local...I guess local was just on my mind because I just started taking a local anesthetic class for dental hygiene...but there is definately a huge difference between the two.

Thanks Kinyonga, I was a little bumbed when he said he is blind, but he has been doing great...so as long as I can keep him happy I don't see why he should be suffering or anything.

Chamlover I just recently rescued a male panther from a guy that wasn't able to put anymore into his treatment so I took him in. The vet wanted to put him under so that he could let me know wether or not his corneas were intact. His left eye is completely blind and his right eye is fully intact, but he said his pupil wasn't focusing on anything. So there is a slight chance he may see light or very fuzzy objects. The vet said the infection is gone, but he wants me to finish the antibiotics just incase. here is a link to the initial thread if you want http://https://www.chameleonforums.com/rescued-ambilobe-11564/ That just has a little more details and pictures..who doesn't love pictures?? :)

chamlover said..."Kinyonga, I am also getting in alot of w/c, as you know. What problems have you had that require surgery? Sorry to steal the post"...generally the problems involve infections...toes/ankles swollen, mouthrot, sinus infections for instance. I have had others that needed non-surgical treatment too for things such as fungal infections (nannizziopsis vriesii for one).

Back
Top Bottom