LLL Reptarium

Citizen Snips

I love the idea of these cages, but the pictures are throwing me off a bit. I searched for better pictures on google with no luck. So, do these enclosures have three horizontal pvc pipes per side or two? I'm looking at getting the 260 gallon..Maybe the pic with 3 is a custom one with four way connectors? If anyone has one I'd appreciate some photos, so I can get a better view. Also, what you use for drainage bc my next cham cage will be nothing but plastic as I am dealing with rust bucket right now. I was thinking about adding another foot and a half to the bottom with pvc. Then, the four vertical pvc tubes will actually penetrate the mesh and touch the floor, so I can place a large bin underneath for drainage (I'll probably end up hot gluing the mesh on the pvc or zip-tie it somehow to stop run away bugs). The idea of a soft tray isn't very appealing to me b/c it sounds like I'd have to empty it every time the mister goes off.

Two horizontal pvc tubes

Three horizontal pvc tubes (for the enclosure standing up)

Are these the screen cages that zip?
I've been told they are a pain if you are in your cage alot like I am.
I know LLL, has the same with doors, and drip trays that are underneath
Ps, having that "top" front piece is really a hassle, I have one and it makes getting in and out really hard

Meh, the Zilla cage I have is a nightmare. I want to burn it in the fire pit excluding the chameleon of course. I'll take a zipper and some pvc over rust, poor craftsmanship, missing parts, holes in the frame where bugs hide and the list goes on. Yeah I don't necessarily want the extra pieces, but I'd like to know if it's included?

I used these for crested geckos...they are a pain to clean! Also, they are a lot harder to see through than the screen cages...IMO :) But they are light and easy to cart around!

See i figure they'd be easier...just take off the mesh and spray it and hang it outside and soak the rest in soapy water. I like the idea of already having mesh at the bottom instead of the flat plastic piece. As far as hard to see I guess I'll have to see for myself and maybe put a brighter bulb somewhere if it is too hard to see.

i have a reptarium. i like them as a "grow out cage". didnt want to spend alot for a small cage they only spend 6 months in. the zipper can be a pain sometimes and they are dark and hard to see through. but you couldnt beat the price. as for the liner i use a kitchen trash sack under the cage and change it out when needed. as for the pvc i do think only the 260 has extra tubes around it for support.

I read that the crickets can chew through the screen on them (but I don't speak from personal experience as I don't own one) something to consider if you free range

I don't think LLL actually makes them.

I love them. I know some people really hate them. The entire internal structure is made of pvc pipe. The pvc pipe does not touch the ground. With the exception of the very large "open tent" ones (which are almost "free range" like) they all have a zippered mesh which encloses them completely.

The mesh bottom does make drainage ever so easy. I have mine sitting in a wood frame over rubber drawers to catch the water.

The "dark" question is really only something you can answer. If you plan on spending hours gazing at your chameleon, you might find them too dark.

I read that the crickets can chew through the screen on them (but I don't speak from personal experience as I don't own one) something to consider if you free range

Seems like a pretty common thing now that i searched "crickets chewed threw reptarium" with Google! Lol I wasn't aware of that :mad: Well, back to square one. And I guess that's why they sell "replacement" mesh in case anything happens :rolleyes:.

I used one for close to a year and had no problems with crickets chewing through it. I Hated it though for reasons stated above with the number one being you can't see through it very well.

Seems like a pretty common thing now that i searched "crickets chewed threw reptarium" with Google! Lol I wasn't aware of that :mad: Well, back to square one. And I guess that's why they sell "replacement" mesh in case anything happens :rolleyes:.

On a positive note at least you are smart enough to do your homework before you spend your money:). I have seen pictures on here of people making there own PVC / mesh cages, if you are handy or like a good challenge that is always a possibility

i have a few, the biggest being a 65 gallon...i like the 38 gallon ones for small chams, the zipper is kind of a pain but its not bad, never really had a problem with crickets or anything else...i think that the bigger they get, the more "give" the mesh has, even on my 65 gallon i cant put my uv hood on the top without it sagging...if you dont put anything on the bottom it gets messy cleaning poop up sometimes...they arent the best but they work, great for outdoor cages though

I've only had one case of cricket chew threw..interestingly, it was on the bottom of the cage so the escapees just drowned in the drainage bin. It's easily repaired with a bit of thread, so not at all a reason to avoid the cage.

The fact that you can sterilize the cage (when switching it out to another chameleon, for instance) by tossing it into the dishwasher is huge to me.

If you haven't done this or thought about it, you just need to dismantle the PVC, then zip it all into the mesh, toss it into the dishwasher and run it on "sterilize" or whatever your highest setting is.

I always run the dishwasher through the cycle again empty before using it for my dishes.

I've had one hold up for the past 8 or 9 years with no issues. Just be gentle and dont throw in too many crickets.

I like the darkness as it seems to help the chameleon feel a bit safer.

I have that cage, so let me give you some reasons NOT to get it.

1. The parts they give you to make the frame are EASILY broken and unstable.

2. The mesh they give you to put around the frame is weak and sags, doesn't really fit snugly against it.

3. The zipper is a pain in the rear.

4. The zipper not only is a hastle to open and close, it can get stuck alot.

5. With the frame and the mesh not being fit together properly, finding leftover bugs that hide between it is a pain in the rear.

Thanks all for the input. Now I'm leaning toward building my own because I'm tired of being disappointed with these reptile products.

I like mine. Mine fits nice and snug, hasn't broken once, and never gets stuck. It has one small hole, but that was my own fault since I was 9 at the time. It doesn't really shake too much because I cut out my own acrylic bottom (like the metal cages) and set a plant and some rocks on it.

Anywho, I think they are a good cage when you're on a budget. Again, be gentle and you're set! 9 years is a pretty long time. It held up to the trauma I put it through as a child (though a rather careful child, but a child none-the-less.)

Back
Top Bottom