Lizard spit - eww!

hallenhe

Avid Member
Thaxter likes his warm spritz. About one time in eight, he gets so caught up in the excitement of open mouth-take in water-repeat that he forgets that swallowing is a recommended part of the procedure. I am the only person I know who routinely dabs a lizard's mouth with a napkin.

Attachments

• Thaxter drool 1.jpg
    Thaxter drool 1.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 324
  • Thaxter drool 2.jpg
    Thaxter drool 2.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 259
Thaxter likes his warm spritz. About one time in eight, he gets so caught up in the excitement of open mouth-take in water-repeat that he forgets that swallowing is a recommended part of the procedure. I am the only person I know who routinely dabs a lizard's mouth with a napkin.

I've never seen a chameleon "drool" before! He's a cutie! :p

What does your vet say about the drooling? I wouldn't think that's normal.

He doesn't do this except when drinking, and then it very clearly seems to be a matter of repeatedly taking in water and neglecting to swallow it. When he reaches this stage, I stop spritzing and he calms down and laps the leaves at a more leisurely pace. I've never asked the vet, but he's been doing it for years with no apparent ill effect - and it's not every time he's spritzed, let alone every time he drinks.

He doesn't do this except when drinking, and then it very clearly seems to be a matter of repeatedly taking in water and neglecting to swallow it. When he reaches this stage, I stop spritzing and he calms down and laps the leaves at a more leisurely pace. I've never asked the vet, but he's been doing it for years with no apparent ill effect - and it's not every time he's spritzed, let alone every time he drinks.

Ours do the same when they drink directly from the spray bottle. Nothing wrong with it. They seem to love it too.

Back
Top Bottom