Living walls/backgrounds

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've played around with these in the past, i was considering doing one again. They have potential to look nice and I have all of the supplies. I'm wondering though, is it unnatural to a cham's habitat? Maybe I'm nitpicking and it's not a big deal, but could the enclosed feeling of backgrounds cause some low-grade, constant stress? With dart frogs and other terrestrial creatures, they would be used to nooks and crannies, surrounded by tree stumps, and whatever else. Chameleons are more likely to be able to see all around, maybe it's a bad idea having them closed in?

I've played around with these in the past, i was considering doing one again. They have potential to look nice and I have all of the supplies. I'm wondering though, is it unnatural to a cham's habitat? Maybe I'm nitpicking and it's not a big deal, but could the enclosed feeling of backgrounds cause some low-grade, constant stress? With dart frogs and other terrestrial creatures, they would be used to nooks and crannies, surrounded by tree stumps, and whatever else. Chameleons are more likely to be able to see all around, maybe it's a bad idea having them closed in?
I think as long as it is only on one side it should be alright. I mean, chams usually have one side of their cage backed up against a wall anyways, right? I might do that with my bioactive cage now that I'm thinking about it, because it has solid walls anyways. Cool idea!

What plants were you thinking of using? I was thinking some kind of vine at the top and middle with more colorful plants elsewhere.

Well right now I am liking the creeping figs, baby tears, and wandering jew. I have a ton of plants just sitting around waiting to be used lol. I start too many projects and can't seem to keep up!

IMHO I prefer to give a cham a more open situation similar to a tree or bush, but with enough cover for them to "watch while hidden". Some backgrounds and living walls can reduce the living space the cham can make use of. Some very shy chams might prefer less of a view, but that would be individual.

Back
Top Bottom