Liver infection

Yoda scared me earlier today. Found him in a position where he's lifting his nose to the ceiling. Then I realized he was positioning himself in front of the mister to drink and clean his eye. after his automatic mister stopped, he dropped to a normal stance. I then took a handheld mister and sprayed him and he went back to the nose in the air stance. It was just after I gave him his meds too. So my other thought was I might've aspirated him and he was trying to clear his throat. Anyone else ever seen that type of behavior? He's already on Baytril for his liver, that's the same treatment as an infection right?

View attachment 334245
View attachment 334246
Make sure your getting as far back as possible with the meds. This looks more like some may have aspirated.

This is why I injected feeders when I had to medicate. I am terrified of aspirating them. With their airway being so close to the front it is just too close for me.

Yeah with two types of meds two times a day it'd be too many feeders 😅 But I think it's just a reminder to only put the meds in if I have a good position. Not to rush just because he's frustrated with me.

Yeah with two types of meds two times a day it'd be too many feeders 😅 But I think it's just a reminder to only put the meds in if I have a good position. Not to rush just because he's frustrated with me.
Uggg yeah I was not having to medicate that often. Bet you both are having a really hard time with the entire thing. Sorry hun. ❤️

Dr. Bruce is amazing, and the reason I have no issue driving 7+ hours roundtrip to see him! Glad he's getting your boy all fixed up. When I have to give meds I don't squirt straight in their mouths, but instead aim for the back corner to avoid aspiration.

Dr. Bruce is amazing, and the reason I have no issue driving 7+ hours roundtrip to see him! Glad he's getting your boy all fixed up. When I have to give meds I don't squirt straight in their mouths, but instead aim for the back corner to avoid aspiration.
I'll try aiming for the corner, thanks for the advice!!

Uggg yeah I was not having to medicate that often. Bet you both are having a really hard time with the entire thing. Sorry hun. ❤️

Yeah I'm sure it's not fun for him but it's been OK for me! I know Yoda really well now and am confident in handling him and giving him meds. Feels wildly different than when I was a new keeper and he was diagnosed with coccidia.

Yeah I'm sure it's not fun for him but it's been OK for me! I know Yoda really well now and am confident in handling him and giving him meds. Feels wildly different than when I was a new keeper and he was diagnosed with coccidia.
Well you have become a very capable keeper and have gone through a lot to get him healthy. Hopefully time will pass quickly and this will be just something else that you went through with him.

Well you have become a very capable keeper and have gone through a lot to get him healthy. Hopefully time will pass quickly and this will be just something else that you went through with him.
Yes!! And thank you for the kind words. And for your help along the way. Would much rather this than him suffer or die early.

Got great news today. Yoda's blood work is much better. Still indicates some inflammation so Dr. Bruce is having me continue on with the milk thistle supplement. We'll do a recheck in three months.

Interestingly his weight went up when he was in the height of his infection and it's back down now. Sharing for those of you who do weight check ins on the regular. It was a 10 gram difference.

Got great news today. Yoda's blood work is much better. Still indicates some inflammation so Dr. Bruce is having me continue on with the milk thistle supplement. We'll do a recheck in three months.

Interestingly his weight went up when he was in the height of his infection and it's back down now. Sharing for those of you who do weight check ins on the regular. It was a 10 gram difference.

Ten grams is a lot for a little chameleon. Maybe a few more feeders each week. I’m glad his bloodwork improved.

Hi folks! The 3 month recheck showed that his liver still isn't back to normal, so Dr. Bruce advised keeping him on milk thistle for another 5-6 months. Basically helping him out with a supplement as he continues to heal.

Today Yoda was having none of it and bit my finger. Funny enough right after that he calmed down and let me give him the meds. In the past he's bitten me but those must've been mild because my finger is throbbing and I can see all his teeth marks in my skin. 😅

Hi folks! The 3 month recheck showed that his liver still isn't back to normal, so Dr. Bruce advised keeping him on milk thistle for another 5-6 months. Basically helping him out with a supplement as he continues to heal.

Today Yoda was having none of it and bit my finger. Funny enough right after that he calmed down and let me give him the meds. In the past he's bitten me but those must've been mild because my finger is throbbing and I can see all his teeth marks in my skin. 😅
Picture of attack or it didnt happen :hilarious:

Back
Top Bottom