Liver infection

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all,

Took Yoda in for his annual checkup with Dr. Bruce here in Orlando. His bloodwork revealed a liver infection so he's on 4 weeks of Baytril (2x per day) and going to get milk thistle supplements to help with his liver function.

He's been such a great boy for his meds. I credit you all with getting me to the point where I'm going to a good vet, getting bloodwork despite him seeming like he's in good shape, being able to handle him and give him meds fairly easily and with confidence.

Will keep y'all posted on how it goes. I think he's doing better because he's getting feistier with each day. And spending more time basking.

Good for you for committing to the annual checkup. Is this something a lot of cham keepers do? I suppose this thread would be exhibit A of why we should...

I know it's something the keepers here have recommended, and precisely why I do it! :) But I don't know how common it is - probably not given how many issues we see here, lack of overall experience in vet community for chameleons, and heck lots of folks in my area don't even do annual checks for their dogs, cats, or other pets. I do for all my pets and will do for my chickens when I get those too. Thankfully Dr. Bruce sees chickens too. Dunno what I'll do if he ever retires!!

You said…”will do for my chickens when I get those too. Thankfully Dr. Bruce sees chickens too”…what kind of chickens do you have and for what purpose? How many?

I don't have any yet! I plan on getting four pullets from a local hatchery. Going to have them for eggs. I had to get a permit for them and still need to build my coop. Just hens, can't do roosters legally.

My friend has chickens for eggs. I think it’s a neat idea! Hope it works out for you! It’s going to have a learning curve …just like keeping chameleons!

Yoda scared me earlier today. Found him in a position where he's lifting his nose to the ceiling. Then I realized he was positioning himself in front of the mister to drink and clean his eye. after his automatic mister stopped, he dropped to a normal stance. I then took a handheld mister and sprayed him and he went back to the nose in the air stance. It was just after I gave him his meds too. So my other thought was I might've aspirated him and he was trying to clear his throat. Anyone else ever seen that type of behavior? He's already on Baytril for his liver, that's the same treatment as an infection right?

PXL_20230127_202605168.jpg
PXL_20230127_201857259.jpg

Yes, Carmelo is a veiled. Everytime we administer medication he holds his nose to the sky. He was treated with metronidazole .02 for Giardia for 1 week skip a week then a 2nd week of treatment. He is now on baytril because he had some dehydration with metronidazole. It caused tiny urates/poops. The first 3 normal sized urate/poop arrived with blood. I explained the nose in the air thing to the vet so he (The Vet) administered the 1st dose of baytril and Carmelo did as usual nose to the sky. He didn't think there was a problem. Carmelo also did a couple of death drops. Now after medication I put him in a carrier until he is settled enough to go into the enclosure.

Yes, Carmelo is a veiled. Everytime we administer medication he holds his nose to the sky. He was treated with metronidazole .02 for Giardia for 1 week skip a week then a 2nd week of treatment. He is now on baytril because he had some dehydration with metronidazole. It caused tiny urates/poops. The first 3 normal sized urate/poop arrived with blood. I explained the nose in the air thing to the vet so he (The Vet) administered the 1st dose of baytril and Carmelo did as usual nose to the sky. He didn't think there was a problem. Carmelo also did a couple of death drops. Now after medication I put him in a carrier until he is settled enough to go into the enclosure.

Maybe he's like this tastes disgusting I need this taste gone. 😂

Back
Top Bottom