Live Plants

scs

Are orchids safe to put in my chameleon's cage? I mostly have pothos plants but would like to add some others as well.

Are orchids safe to put in my chameleon's cage? I mostly have pothos plants but would like to add some others as well.

What species of cham? Veileds tend to snack on plants more than other species. What species of orchid? Some may be more or less toxic if ingested but I don't know which they would be. An orchid probably won't like the disturbance from something climbing around on it. Again, there might be some types that could handle the cage conditions but someone else would have to chime in.

Not sure...

Hi there,

I'm not really sure about the safety of using orchids for a cham, but I know that the plants generally won't tolerate the foot traffic from being climbed on. If you like the look of the flowers, I would suggest a fake plant. However, orchid's leaves are usually thick and rubbery so they wouldn't be a *bad* idea to use on the bottom of the setup if you can confirm that it isn't toxic if ingested.

Hope this helps!
Sarah

I have a male panther chameleon, and the specific type of orchid would be 'Phalaenopsis'

If Sebastian crawls around on the plant and a leaf breaks is less of a concern to me than if he eats a leaf and gets sick...

Is this 'Phalaenopsis orchid' too toxic?

Back
Top Bottom