Live plant question

KellyRose12

Established Member
After being skeptical about banjo having a URI, we sat at the vet this morning to get antibiotics... a dewormer was given to him just Incase this came from a parasite... Is this a normal thing?

ALSO my main question,
I am wondering how he could have gotten this URI. Could it have anything to do with the dwarf umbrella plant in his terrarium? I have rocks covering the soil, I’m questioning if there might be any mold or bacteria growing because it can’t get completely dry with my misting system.

ummm I personally have never heard of giving a de wormer without getting a fecal done. And I have never heard of an RI being linked to a parasite issue.... Weird.

Per the plant no you can not get an RI from the plant. You get RI's typically from too much misting so that the enclosure does not dry out or misting when your cage is hot or fogging during the day when the cage is hot. You can get them from bacteria but the is most commonly from branches never drying out... You can get them from bacteria also if your not cleaning the bottom out/draining off the dirty water... leaving paper towels on the bottom to soak up the moisture etc...

Okay, yeah I thought it was weird that she gave him a dewormer and an antibiotic shot. I have to take him to get a shot every 3 days for 6 sessions... but no fecal was done... I thought that was very strange. She explained that there are very rare cases that RIs can be liked to a particular parasite ??‍♀️ So just to be safe she gave it to him. But anyways, I have the paper towels soaking up water, and his misting is on for a minute every hour. Is this too much? The day I changed the intervals and misted in between, his poop looked a little dehydrated so I changed it back to a minute every hour. I’m planning on getting the dragon strand drainage system and I change my paper towels every day, I can start doing it a few times a day though. Any suggestions for drainage?

Okay, yeah I thought it was weird that she gave him a dewormer and an antibiotic shot. I have to take him to get a shot every 3 days for 6 sessions... but no fecal was done... I thought that was very strange. She explained that there are very rare cases that RIs can be liked to a particular parasite ??‍♀️ So just to be safe she gave it to him. But anyways, I have the paper towels soaking up water, and his misting is on for a minute every hour. Is this too much? The day I changed the intervals and misted in between, his poop looked a little dehydrated so I changed it back to a minute every hour. I’m planning on getting the dragon strand drainage system and I change my paper towels every day, I can start doing it a few times a day though. Any suggestions for drainage?
Yeah I am not a vet but I have not heard of that.

So yeah your misting way too frequently. that does not give the enclosure time to dry out so he is constantly in wet humid conditions. The urate can have up to 50% of orange yellow to it... It is when there is no white to the urate that it means dehydration. Best suggestion for drainage is the DS drainage tray honestly. Then wet vac your pan or do a gravity drain to pull out water. You just don't want the water sitting there.

FWIW:
Reptile respiratory medicine
Respiratory disease is commonly diagnosed in captive reptiles, and is a major cause of morbidity and mortality. Although all species of reptiles are susceptible, most commonly, chelonians and snakes present with acute or chronic respiratory tract disease. Environmental requirements for most reptile species are very specific and often difficult to meet in captivity. Suboptimal environmental conditions such as too high or too low temperature and humidity, inadequate diet and chronic stress (eg, poor cage design and/or incompatible cage mates) will result in an immunocompromised animal. A variety of infectious agents, including viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic agents have been detected and associated with respiratory disease in reptiles, but noninfectious causes such as foreign bodies and trauma are also common.

More articles: reptile respiratory infection from parasites (google search)

Yeah I am not a vet but I have not heard of that.

So yeah your misting way too frequently. that does not give the enclosure time to dry out so he is constantly in wet humid conditions. The urate can have up to 50% of orange yellow to it... It is when there is no white to the urate that it means dehydration. Best suggestion for drainage is the DS drainage tray honestly. Then wet vac your pan or do a gravity drain to pull out water. You just don't want the water sitting there.
What should I set my misting system to? The longest spraying option is 60 seconds long. I can also hand spray in between. I work from home so I’m here 24/7

What should I set my misting system to? The longest spraying option is 60 seconds long. I can also hand spray in between. I work from home so I’m here 24/7
It is based on your ambient humidty... There is not a one size fits all approach. 60 seconds is fine although I prefer longer... It is how often that is an issue. What are the options for frequency and what does you ambient humidity run?

It is based on your ambient humidty... There is not a one size fits all approach. 60 seconds is fine although I prefer longer... It is how often that is an issue. What are the options for frequency and what does you ambient humidity run?
My interval options are every 1, 3, 6 or 12 hours.
Ambient humidity usually lingers around 40-45 and that’s with the 60 second misting every hour without spraying in between.

My interval options are every 1, 3, 6 or 12 hours.
Ambient humidity usually lingers around 40-45 and that’s with the 60 second misting every hour without spraying in between.
Well then I would try every 6 hours.... The issue is that your mister does not give you the options you really need. Longer sessions less frequency at specific times like a mistking will.

Have you done a husbandry review yet?

Actually I disagree a little, I do not think misting will cause RI and have seen no evidence of this. Most people were drenching their cages all day and still it was not something that happened(I know say this all the time lol but it's true!). Mold and bacteria shouldn't cause an RI either (within reason). Bacteria is all over the place everywhere and is usually more beneficial than harmful(like in soil). Mold is an overhyped fear that the mold companies have pushed for years. Most living things are constantly breathing in mold spores without problem and without knowing it.

RI's IMO happen from stress. So if there is a stresser in the cage, whether it be uncomfortable temps, a draft of air, something scaring the animal with no escape, improper diet, etc then you increase the likelihood of the cham getting sick. So with this, I'd believe parasites could easily cause an RI through stress. I see what @Beman is saying if the temp/humidity are uncomfortable, it could, but I feel like it'd have to be excessive and the ventilation would have to be poor. Maybe it is? I'm not sure exactly how your set up looks.

I'm not saying I'm absolutely right, just my opinion based off everything I've seen/read/heard over the years.

With all that, I'd switch your misting to just 1-2 heavy mistings rather than short intervals throughout the day. I personally like to mist morning heavy(5-10min at least) and then a couple minutes before lights out

I didn’t really do a full husbandry review but I’m housing him in a medium reptibreeze I believe it is 18x18x24, just for now when he is a baby, going to upgrade when he hits 6 months.
I’m using a 60 watt halogen basking bulb and a T8 10.0 tube for UVB. My basking is 82.6 degrees and ambient from 72-75
Humidity sits at 40-45 ambient.
I have a dwarf umbrella plant with bamboo sticks all around it and a fake vine wrapping around those.
Paper towels for the bottom.
I currently use the reptirain misting system but used the monsoon in the past, I will buy a monsoon tomorrow to have a better misting schedule.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 67
I didn’t really do a full husbandry review but I’m housing him in a medium reptibreeze I believe it is 18x18x24, just for now when he is a baby, going to upgrade when he hits 6 months.
I’m using a 60 watt halogen basking bulb and a T8 10.0 tube for UVB. My basking is 82.6 degrees and ambient from 72-75
Humidity sits at 40-45 ambient.
I have a dwarf umbrella plant with bamboo sticks all around it and a fake vine wrapping around those.
Paper towels for the bottom.
I currently use the reptirain misting system but used the monsoon in the past, I will buy a monsoon tomorrow to have a better misting schedule.
You don't want a monsoon either. You want a mistking misting system. If it is the medium reptibreeze it would be 36 inches high. Depending on his growth you may need to upgrade sooner then 6 months. Otherwise I would be sure to upgrade at 6 months into a 2x2x4.
Bamboo is quite slick... Not something I use for branches because it kinds soaks up moisture.

You don't want a monsoon either. You want a mistking misting system. If it is the medium reptibreeze it would be 36 inches high. Depending on his growth you may need to upgrade sooner then 6 months. Otherwise I would be sure to upgrade at 6 months into a 2x2x4.
Bamboo is quite slick... Not something I use for branches because it kinds soaks up moisture.
Okay

Back
Top Bottom