star of bethlehem (snowdrop)
sweet pea
thornapple
wisteria
yew

this is the link
http://www.cap4pets.org/pet-care/pet-health/poisonous-plants-pets

Pothos
Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum) belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/17-common-poisonous-plants.html

Pothos
Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum) belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

I have a conflict with this data.... I have a veiled that ate an entire leaf from a pothos and had zero side affects.

Fred was trying to eat a hornworm that wouldn't let go of the stem. He ended up taking the worm with the entire leaf. Took a minute or two for him to get it down... but he didn't show any signs of irritation or swelling. About a year later and hes still kicking.

Maybe too much of this plant might cause issue? :confused:

Are spider plants safe to use in a chameleon enclosure because I have quite a large and healthy one growing in a pot that is only a year old with leaves over a foot long. thanks.

They're fine for reptiles. They are kind of weak and your chams may trample them into shreds.

Hi O got a plant with my chameleon. But I dont know what type it is?? here are some pics. It has no flowers just shoots with leaves. stems stay green and plant tends to droop out as you can see.

its a "ZZ Plant" Real name of Zamioculcas zamiifolia. They're pretty, don't need or like much water, and don't mind being kept in a really small pot forever. You have to be careful to give them a well-drained pot and light porous soil. They can go months without water because they have a water-storing root. I water once a month, but nothing from Halloween to St. Patrick's Day (treat on Halloween - drink on St Paddy's).

They like good light. I think yours may be flopping from the low light levels in the lower part of the habitat.

Easy to propagate; each leaflet can be rooted and makes a new plant, but very slowly.

Hope that helps.

Just wonders if anyone know if you can put a bird of paradise plant in with chameleons? cant seem to find out if they are toxic or danagerous in any way.

Sure, they're fine. Too tough at most stages to be eaten anyway. I don't know how big your environment is, but they get big, and need lots of light to be firm and climb-able.

... Pothos

Pothos is so widely used in reptile environments, we would know if it was problematic. (It isn't)

I have a conflict with this data.... I have a veiled that ate an entire leaf from a pothos and had zero side affects.

Fred was trying to eat a hornworm that wouldn't let go of the stem. He ended up taking the worm with the entire leaf. Took a minute or two for him to get it down... but he didn't show any signs of irritation or swelling. About a year later and hes still kicking.

Maybe too much of this plant might cause issue? :confused:

Yeah, Pothos don't seem to be dangerous, but they must taste bad enough that nobody goes back for seconds. Weirdly, Solomon Island Prehensile-tailed Skinks can almost live on them alone.

ya pothos is completely fine for chams....dont know why thats on there... ignor pothos on the poisoness plant list

Corny, but...

Dracaena plants including the corn plant are usually considered safe. The leaves are soft and the weight of even a medium sized lizard cand bend or break them and claws will shred resulting in a poor-looking plant.

S T U R D Y plants

Its pretty hard to beat the dwarf Schefflera, S. arboricola. Sturdy, attractive, easy to please.

Last edited:
yeah its got nice nice branches that are like trunks....there also known as dwarf umbrella plants.so they got mini trunks....and alot of folliage in a umbrella pattern....there awsome...umbrellas and pothos are the best (pothos is flimsey though ....but it gives alot of coverage!)

I'm very much new to this but I have my umbrella tree sitting at the bottom of the enclosure now, under this new low light condition it will grow tall quickly. I just want to know if it is chameleon safe.

Note: I'm a botanist, so if you can recommend any plants I'll be sure to find them quickly :D.

I'm very much new to this but I have my umbrella tree sitting at the bottom of the enclosure now, under this new low light condition it will grow tall quickly. I just want to know if it is chameleon safe.

Note: I'm a botanist, so if you can recommend any plants I'll be sure to find them quickly :D.

What kind of light do you have over the cage? Umbrella plants are safe, depending on the type. is it a scheflera?

What kind of light do you have over the cage? Umbrella plants are safe, depending on the type. is it a scheflera?

I have the usual UVB and UVA lamps, I have actual grow lamps I could give it, but I don't really think it'll be necessary. Also, yes it is a Schefflera, a varigated variety I propagated myself. It's only about a foot tall right now, not nearly the height of my 4 foot enclosure, so I'm supplementing with fakes and vines for now.

I do have a Passiflora which is about 20 feet long, although the leaves are very tender. Could I make a cutting of that and put it in the enclosure?

Passifloras - nope

Pem, you should consider all _Passiflora sp._ poisonous. I don't know if your cham is a browser, but better not take a chance on that one.

Safe vines include the good old pothos (_Scindapsus aureus_) and perhaps some of the _Cissus sp._

The dwarf Schefflera is _S. arboricola_, and there are many selected varieties including a very dwarf one named "Luseane". On this forum people often call this an "umbrella plant", which usually refers to _Cyperus sp_.

In the tropics where it flowers freely _Schefflera actinophylla_ is often called the "umbrella tree" or the "octopus tree" for its big sprays of red flowers. This plant is thought to be dangerously toxic to reptiles.

Dwarf Scheffs are native to Taiwan and are usually found climbing up other tree trunks or as an epiphyte. They may need more light than your uv bulbs provide, esp. in Canadian winters.:D

Last edited:
Creeping charlie

I have a large creeping charlie plant. They are very common around here as houseplants and are extremely hardy.

I plan to have a ficus in the enclosure, but I thought I could hang a creeping charlie up by his enclosure to give him a place to climb up when hes out of the enclosure.

I could hang the pot from the celing and then put up a basking light a foot or so away (so he cannot get into physical contact with the hot bulb or fixture) and then he would be able to bask in the hanging pot.

Does that sound cool or what ???:D

Need to know

Well ive been reading this stuff and trying to firgure out what to put in my cage for my veiled chameleon right now i have to live plants in cage and want to get spme but really dont know what plants to get i know nothing about plants so were can i get the right kind and what kind so i get for her?

Live Plant Database

This is a live plant list that covers commonly used and often asked about plants for chameleon enclosures. It is an evolving resource that is mostly the compilation of information provided by forum members. If you ever have suggestions for changes or additions, please post them in the specific [forum=12]feedback forums[/forum].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom