Little white bumps

Teency

Hi everyone! I've started to notice these little white bumps and I was wondering if you might know the cause if them? They started just after his last shed and when I took him for his check up in March, he had a clean bill of health!

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - 14 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon

Handling - 30 minutes to an hour once a day or once every 2 days. Whenever he feels like coming out to explore

Feeding - 10-15 medium crickets every second day gutloaded with Mazuri hi calcium gut load diet and crushed up Mazuri rodent pellets suggested by reptile store owner (not a commercial pet store) along with romaine lettuce, bell peppers, and repashy bug burger. 1 - 2 horn worms or silk worms once a week

Supplements - Exo Terra calcium, calcium with vitamin d and multivitamin powder. Calcium is with Every feeding. Multivitamin and calcium with vitamin d only twice a month for each

Watering - misting 1-3 times a day for 2-5 minutes with a dripper during the day when I'm at work

Fecal Description - solid and brown with white urate

History - came from a small local breeder. Said he was one of the healthiest ones he had

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 24"x18"x36" exo Terra screen terrarium with closed off sides and back to keep heat and humidity in

Lighting - UVB: 24" 5% zoo med repti sun tube bulb. I also have a 24" T5 grow light for the plants. Heat: 100watt ceramic heater within a reptisun dome with dimmer switch

Temperature - thermometer reads between 25-28 degrees Celsius in the middle of the cage. 28-30 at basking spot and drops between 18-20 at night time

Humidity - after misting for several minutes the hygrometer reads between 80%-90%% and drops down to 40%-50% within a couple hours. I mist again once everything has dried

Plants - I am using 4 live plants.

Placement - cage is located on top of a dresser in the corner of our bedroom. Not near any vents or heat radiators. Top of cage is about 6 feet from the ground

Location - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Where we have hot summers and brutally cold winters.

Current Problem -little white bumps that appeared after his last shed and they feel pretty hard. He's still very active and is eating like a pig... Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• tmp_20395-_20170526_0956321776550419.JPG
    tmp_20395-_20170526_0956321776550419.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
They look like the pigment cancer I had on my male veiled. I'd get him to an experienced reptile vet - they took the 2 spots off Sunny, and he had cute pink stitches for a month. Any vet can remove the stiches after he is healed, just in case you have to travel to find a reptile vet. Don't put this off, the longer you do, the more they will grow (again, if it is pigment cancer, but it does look exactly like what Sunny had), and the worse off your chameleon will be. He developed his after I switched from a 5.0 to a 10.0, because he was too feisty to get outside into the sun. After this experience I switched back to the 5.0, but I'm wondering if the grow light could contribute to it at all. Good luck!

They look like the pigment cancer I had on my male veiled. I'd get him to an experienced reptile vet - they took the 2 spots off Sunny, and he had cute pink stitches for a month. Any vet can remove the stiches after he is healed, just in case you have to travel to find a reptile vet. Don't put this off, the longer you do, the more they will grow (again, if it is pigment cancer, but it does look exactly like what Sunny had), and the worse off your chameleon will be. He developed his after I switched from a 5.0 to a 10.0, because he was too feisty to get outside into the sun. After this experience I switched back to the 5.0, but I'm wondering if the grow light could contribute to it at all. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your input! That's what I was hoping it wasn't going to be. I've already made an appointment for him on June 10 and I've removed the grow light for the time being :). I also wonder if it has to do with the reptisun bulb? I used Arcadia previously and never had any problems and both were 5.0. I just switched to reptisun cuz I wanted to use up the bulb that came with the hood lol think I might want to go back to Arcadia now though...

Was Sunny ok after they were removed?

Arcadia have healthier uvb rays than reptisun does. You will likely notice more issues with reptisun than arcadia.

Yes - they were removed about 8 months ago, and haven't returned yet (knock on wood). I do keep a much closer eye, because if you look too quickly a small piece of retained shed can look like it. It was a quick procedure, they knocked him out, and removed them, then stitched him back up. They told me I could remove the stitches myself, but I just don't have enough hands to hold him and to try to do that. Plus he hates my husband so that wouldn't have worked. He was a big hit at the vet though (I took him to my cat vet to remove the stitches because the other vet was a 4 hour drive each way, and I wasn't doing that again).

I know Arcadia is a great company, but I have to say this was my first issue with the Reptisun, and that was only after increasing to 10.0. In the future I will probably switch to Arcadia, but for now I've got a few more UVB bulbs to go through first.

Back
Top Bottom