Little cough?

Hey I’m new to the forum and recently got my first female panther a couple of months ago and have had no issues up to now. But she has recently started doing a little cough or sneeze? Sounds like she just blows air out of her nose because her mouth doesn’t open and he neck doesn’t puff out. Was wondering if it could be a respiratory infection or not because she doesn’t poke her head up in the air and doesn’t act unusual at all. She will do this little cough once every other day or so.
3DB9D732-5D2E-4471-A901-271F5A7A3C5F.jpeg

Attachments

• 083B0BC0-0E67-4995-BCC6-C5550BE99417.jpeg
    083B0BC0-0E67-4995-BCC6-C5550BE99417.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 83
Hey I’m new to the forum and recently got my first female panther a couple of months ago and have had no issues up to now. But she has recently started doing a little cough or sneeze? Sounds like she just blows air out of her nose because her mouth doesn’t open and he neck doesn’t puff out. Was wondering if it could be a respiratory infection or not because she doesn’t poke her head up in the air and doesn’t act unusual at all. She will do this little cough once every other day or so.View attachment 291996
So the nose pointing in the air is actually one of the later signs in an RI... This happens when they literally can not breathe so they extend the throat and point up to try to get air.

So my advice if you are hearing coughing or wheezing sounds take her to a reptile vet with cham experience to make sure it is not an RI starting.

So the nose pointing in the air is actually one of the later signs in an RI... This happens when they literally can not breathe so they extend the throat and point up to try to get air.

So my advice if you are hearing coughing or wheezing sounds take her to a reptile vet with cham experience to make sure it is not an RI starting.
Okay will do thank you 👍🏻

It concerns me as you shouldn't be hearing breathing noises pay close attention!!! How often are you misting and what temps is she in. Glad you are taking her to the vet.

Is it a one-time, very quick thing? My guys do that all the time, as if to say "Oh great, it's you. PFFT!" Like a real quick blow through the nose, then normal after that... I find they only do that if I'm annoying them or they are surprised (and unhappy) to see me.

If she is wheezing, or having continual issues breathing, then she may have a RI. Some things to look for is wheezing, sneezing, gaping (when not basking), excessive saliva in their mouth, difficulty breathing, lethargy, etc. She should see a vet for some antibiotics and review if she is displaying these symptoms. Can't speak for all vets - but my vet visit for a suspected RI was $55. (It turned out to not be an RI, but better safe than sorry).

Okay will do thank you
Your welcome. Make sure your not using a fogger during the day. This increases RI risk.
i had a humidifier in my room to try and increase the humidity more at night but I haven’t used it since I heard the little cough.

Is it a one-time, very quick thing? My guys do that all the time, as if to say "Oh great, it's you. PFFT!" Like a real quick blow through the nose, then normal after that... I find they only do that if I'm annoying them or they are surprised (and unhappy) to see me.

If she is wheezing, or having continual issues breathing, then she may have a RI. Some things to look for is wheezing, sneezing, gaping (when not basking), excessive saliva in their mouth, difficulty breathing, lethargy, etc. She should see a vet for some antibiotics and review if she is displaying these symptoms. Can't speak for all vets - but my vet visit for a suspected RI was $55. (It turned out to not be an RI, but better safe than sorry).
That’s exactly what she’s doing! A little PFFT. She doesn’t wheeze or gap and can’t hear or see anything that would suggest she is having a hard time breathing, and she’s still pretty energetic climbing around the cage everywhere.

It concerns me as you shouldn't be hearing breathing noises pay close attention!!! How often are you misting and what temps is she in. Glad you are taking her to the vet.
I don’t hear her breathe but there’s been a handful of times over the last week where she let out like a little burst of air out of her nose. Rn I’m misting 4x a day for 1 min, right before she wakes up and right after she goes to bed with 2x thought the day. Temp is around mid-70s during the day and drops to about 65 at night.

I just want to add that she is stunningly gorgeous. Love the blues with her pinks. Make sure you follow through with the vet. Would be a shame to lose such a cutie patootie.

I just want to add that she is stunningly gorgeous. Love the blues with her pinks. Make sure you follow through with the vet. Would be a shame to lose such a cutie patootie.
Thank you! She’s super friendly too always try’s to climb onto my arm when I open her cage and doesn’t run away at all! Unfortunately I’m gonna be out of town for the next 6 days visiting family and my girlfriend will be taking care of her, but I’m gonna bring her in as soon as I can when I get back.

I don’t hear her breathe but there’s been a handful of times over the last week where she let out like a little burst of air out of her nose. Rn I’m misting 4x a day for 1 min, right before she wakes up and right after she goes to bed with 2x thought the day. Temp is around mid-70s during the day and drops to about 65 at night.

no need to mist mid day, its best to let humidity drop and the cage dry out a bit during the day.

I would instead double the length of time you mist in the morning and night (at least).

Back
Top Bottom