Little bumps under jaw? jacksons chameleon

chnk

I just bought a new jacksons chameleon from petsmart the other day and I noticed he has some small bumps on the skin under his jaw. Almost looks like moles

there is 3 total
DSC_1048_zps49b7455a.jpg

DSC_1049_zps78bdaf68.jpg

DSC_1050_zpsdb0c7114.jpg

I just bought a new jacksons chameleon from petsmart the other day and I noticed he has some small bumps on the skin under his jaw. Almost looks like moles

there is 3 total
DSC_1048_zps49b7455a.jpg

DSC_1049_zps78bdaf68.jpg

DSC_1050_zpsdb0c7114.jpg

They could be anything from encapsulated parasitic worms, cysts, to abscesses. I would have an experienced herp vet sample one of them and culture it to see if it's an infection, a cyst, abscess, etc. Your cham was most likely a wildcaught adult given the little "battle scars" from his life in the wild.

Whatever you do, don't let the vet just automatically start him on Baytril (antibiotic that can be hard on chams unless you monitor them carefully and hydrate them very well). Ask for a culture and sensitivity test or at least a biopsy to check for a parasite.

They could be anything from encapsulated parasitic worms, cysts, to abscesses. I would have an experienced herp vet sample one of them and culture it to see if it's an infection, a cyst, abscess, etc. Your cham was most likely a wildcaught adult given the little "battle scars" from his life in the wild.

Whatever you do, don't let the vet just automatically start him on Baytril (antibiotic that can be hard on chams unless you monitor them carefully and hydrate them very well). Ask for a culture and sensitivity test or at least a biopsy to check for a parasite.

sad i just got him, didnt think petsmart would sell a wild caught chameleon

Back
Top Bottom