Little black bugs everywhere

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
so I’ve noticed recently there are small flying black bugs everywhere around my chameleons enclosure! Every time I kill one there’s like a million more! Anyone know what the bugs might be and how I can get rid of them?

Fungus gnats are the worst thing to ever exist. Usually they occur due to an issue with the soil being too wet and having a hard time draining. That’s what happened to me. You might need to repot your plants with new soil that you add something like orchid bark to, to increase drainage. I can pretty much guarantee that when you take your plants out of the soil, they’ll smell like a swamp. That’s where these assholes breed and thrive.

Fungus gnats are the worst thing to ever exist. Usually they occur due to an issue with the soil being too wet and having a hard time draining. That’s what happened to me. You might need to repot your plants with new soil that you add something like orchid bark to, to increase drainage. I can pretty much guarantee that when you take your plants out of the soil, they’ll smell like a swamp. That’s where these assholes breed and thrive.
What would u suggest for better drainage? My plants have rocks at the bottom of their pots and soil on top.

What would u suggest for better drainage? My plants have rocks at the bottom of their pots and soil on top.
What soil are you using?

I have had HORRIBLE luck with miracle gro in ground organic soil, or any in ground soil for that matter. It is not meant for houseplants (or vivarium plants) and is a cesspool of fungus gnats.

What I do is make my own soil.

50% coco coir
25% earthworm castings
25% orchid bark

I mix it all together and plant my plants in that. If you find you need even more drainage, lower the amount of coir and add more orchid bark. The coir and orchid bark allow for great drainage and soil aeration, and the earthworm castings serve as an organic nutrient for the plants.

I’ll refer you to this video, where I got the recipe. Bear in mind she uses pumice, which you can use, however to prevent your chams from getting into it, I’d put a 2-3” layer of plain coco coir on top. Orchid bark is a better bet. NO perlite. Also, skip the step where she adds slow release fertilizer. It’s not safe for chams.

Hopefully this helps!

What soil are you using?

I have had HORRIBLE luck with miracle gro in ground organic soil, or any in ground soil for that matter. It is not meant for houseplants (or vivarium plants) and is a cesspool of fungus gnats.

What I do is make my own soil.

50% coco coir
25% earthworm castings
25% orchid bark

I mix it all together and plant my plants in that. If you find you need even more drainage, lower the amount of coir and add more orchid bark. The coir and orchid bark allow for great drainage and soil aeration, and the earthworm castings serve as an organic nutrient for the plants.

I’ll refer you to this video, where I got the recipe. Bear in mind she uses pumice, which you can use, however to prevent your chams from getting into it, I’d put a 2-3” layer of plain coco coir on top. Orchid bark is a better bet. NO perlite. Also, skip the step where she adds slow release fertilizer. It’s not safe for chams.

Hopefully this helps!

image.jpg

Ah well there’s my soil! Looks like is miracle grow as well

View attachment 326996
Ah well there’s my soil! Looks like is miracle grow as well
This is the exact one that ruined my life. It infested every single one of NOT ONLY my chameleon plants, but my houseplant collection of 30+ plants. Bane of my existence.

I would highly suggest making the soil that I detailed in my previous message. It will save you from a lot of pain with overwatering, fungus, and gnats.

This is the exact one that ruined my life. It infested every single one of NOT ONLY my chameleon plants, but my houseplant collection of 30+ plants. Bane of my existence.

I would highly suggest making the soil that I detailed in my previous message. It will save you from a lot of pain with overwatering, fungus, and gnats.
Ok amazing to know!! I definitely make a list of the materials to make my own. I don’t think I can make the soil/get the supply’s right away. But hopefully I’ll be able to make some soil soon!

As for the gnats, I’ve put a vinegar trap in the cage, so hopefully that will take care of a good amount of them!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Ok amazing to know!! I definitely make a list of the materials to make my own. I don’t think I can make the soil/get the supply’s right away. But hopefully I’ll be able to make some soil soon!

As for the gnats, I’ve put a vinegar trap in the cage, so hopefully that will take care of a good amount of them!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
You’re so welcome! You can get this stuff pretty cheap on Amazon, or if you have a local nursery, I’d look there first! Walmart has a big bag of earthworm castings for $5 which is a steal! I think I’m going to make a separate post about this to help others out as well, so I’ll include links in that too!!

so I’ve noticed recently there are small flying black bugs everywhere around my chameleons enclosure! Every time I kill one there’s like a million more! Anyone know what the bugs might be and how I can get rid of them?
I have foumd the eggs are in the soil and they seem to hatch at the same time.i took fine netting sand ridged it with tape, sewing and rocks so the covered the soil but let the plant stay out. I used hair nets that i stretched out on the back of a chair. Then i put the wand adapter on the vacuum and vacuumed the lose ones flying around up two to three times a day till it was under control! Usually hatches one to two times a year during spring and summer. When i replated, i got different soil. Rocks in bottom is good! Pain inthe ass but i got rid of them. Good luck!

Could be overwatering, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes they’re just there. I wiped out an infestation in my reptile room so bad you had to keep your mouth closed or they’d fly in🤮 and I did it with a few drosera capensis sundews. Many fungus gnats are instantly attracted to them. They must have killed like a million of them lol. After I was wanting more just to keep my plants fed! Never needed to change the soil or anything. Btw Vinegar traps didn’t even put a dent in the issue I was having.

Others have used the katchy(@MissSkittles didn’t you use this?) and had good success with it I believe.

I let my gnats get out of control and have since caught probably a couple thousand in a couple weeks after getting those big bright yellow traps. Didn't realize how bad it was across all my houseplants.
That’s how mine was, crazy. Once I repotted into the soil I detailed in my previous post, I haven’t had a single issue!

Could be overwatering, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes they’re just there. I wiped out an infestation in my reptile room so bad you had to keep your mouth closed or they’d fly in🤮 and I did it with a few drosera capensis sundews. Many fungus gnats are instantly attracted to them. They must have killed like a million of them lol. After I was wanting more just to keep my plants fed! Never needed to change the soil or anything. Btw Vinegar traps didn’t even put a dent in the issue I was having.

Others have used the katchy(@MissSkittles didn’t you use this?) and had good success with it I believe.
How hard would u say it is to keep the sundew alive? And where would I keep them, worried/I know my girl would try to take a bite out of one

Back
Top Bottom