LIQUID CALCIUM - Advice?

Bellabijou

Just bought Fluker's liquid calcium, which came in a dropper bottle. I know that feeding calcium orally to a chameleon is very stressful, so I found a spray bottle and put it in that.

The side of the box says to dilute the solution with 8 oz water to 1/2 teaspoon of liquid calcium, so I did that and put it in the bottle. Is this solution too diluted to do anything for my cham? I am using it as opposed to powder calcium, so I don't know if I should be diluting it at all. What do you think: should I or shouldn't I dilute it? This will be sprayed on crickets every feeding.

I am still a bit worried after learning that I have been shorting my cham on his much needed calcium :(:unsure::wideyed:

I don't think that will be enough calcium delivered that way. I've found that chameleons don't like the taste of liquid calcium very much. I'm judging this by the rescues I've had to treat with it. A healthy chameleon tolerate it better.
Is there a specific reason you don't want to use calcium powder and supplements?

Just bought Fluker's liquid calcium, which came in a dropper bottle. I know that feeding calcium orally to a chameleon is very stressful, so I found a spray bottle and put it in that.

The side of the box says to dilute the solution with 8 oz water to 1/2 teaspoon of liquid calcium, so I did that and put it in the bottle. Is this solution too diluted to do anything for my cham? I am using it as opposed to powder calcium, so I don't know if I should be diluting it at all. What do you think: should I or shouldn't I dilute it? This will be sprayed on crickets every feeding.

I am still a bit worried after learning that I have been shorting my cham on his much needed calcium :(:unsure::wideyed:
You scared me there for a minute, I thought you were going to spray your Cham with that!

May I ask why you are choosing this path instead of the tried and true powdered method?

And where did you get this idea?

I don't think that will be enough calcium delivered that way. I've found that chameleons don't like the taste of liquid calcium very much. I'm judging this by the rescues I've had to treat with it. A healthy chameleon tolerate it better.
Is there a specific reason you don't want to use calcium powder and supplements?
God your fast! You always beat my first post by a minute or two!!!

Hi, Jill! Yes I've definitely heard about the yucky taste :confused: My veiled is healthy (almost 5 years old), but his casque seems to be tilting so I really want to load him up with some calcium as he approaches an older age. The main reason is that we will be going on vacation tomorrow and I want a more immediate way to give calcium since PetSmart did not carry calcium powder (just calcium with d3). My neighbor will be taking care of him in the mean time but I want to ensure that he is getting his supplements :) Should I try it out to see if he likes it? He's never been to picky or spit anything out so I guess it's worth a try. If I do try it should I dilute it?

You can't give much full strength the dose is very small. Some people have added it to the dripper water but if he won't drink it from that he might not drink enough overall to stay hydrated. I hate changing routine when I'm not there to observe. If you have another source of water and you add that it might work.

You can't give much full strength the dose is very small. Some people have added it to the dripper water but if he won't drink it from that he might not drink enough overall to stay hydrated. I hate changing routine when I'm not there to observe. If you have another source of water and you add that it might work.
Ok, he drinks from a spray bottle every day. Should I add some to that? It's hard to believe that he will get enough calcium with the 1/2 tsp per 8 oz dilution.

Back
Top Bottom