Lights

Nixibabie

I have been trying to find linear bulbs and fixtures for my chameleons but I have not been able to find any in stock from Arcadia can you guys send me links to different options I could use that are in stock.

It depends a little on how big your cage is and how it’s set up. Bill Strand Does a really nice job of explaining how to put these bulbs to work in an enclosure
https://chameleonacademy.com/uvb/

9A6501EA-9B19-4D62-8722-3DCE31054A02.jpeg

Does that diagram indicate that the T5 fixture should be above cage? I have the Arcadia 6% fixture on my cage. 24 inch. I have the Reptibreeze XL deluxe cage.

Yes. He discusses a bit about maximum safe UVI levels too. He recommends raising the bulbs to a level where the UVI at the ceiling of the cage is 6. UVB is capable of causing damage if exposure of too high of a level occurs for too long

If you follow his recommendations on placement and replace your bulbs at the recommended intervals, you should provide effective UVI levels to allow the cham’s body to produce the necessary D3

I purchased a solarmeter 6.5 after reading that page. I wanted to be certain that I didn’t have both too high or too low of UVB levels in my enclosure

Then why has everyone been telling me to get the 12%
As you can see in the diagram, the 12% bulbs have much better penetration. I think if you create a basking branch that sits at the proper distance from the bulb, a 6% will work just fine, but the 12% increases the area that will be receiving the correct UVI levels, especially in a single bulb fixture. It also needs to be placed higher up so that you avoid excessive levels of UVI being accessible inside the enclosure

Can't the cham just move to lower branches in the cage and regulate the UV that it gets? It can move up higher for basking light. Why do we have to regulate this?

Can't the cham just move to lower branches in the cage and regulate the UV that it gets? It can move up higher for basking light. Why do we have to regulate this?
I think to some extent they will, but much like your basking light being able to burn their cask and back, if you allow access within the cage to levels of UVB light that are outside of a safe range, it’s possible that they will have damage from it.

In humans it causes cancer and skin damage and can directly damage DNA. Some reptiles are adapted to very high levels like uromastyx and bearded dragons, Chams in general are adapted to a medium range. When levels are very high in their natural environments, they retreat into canopy of the trees and bushes they live in

My reptisun 5.0 bulb can produce UVI levels of 18 through the screen when placed directly on the cage. That’s well outside of what my Cham needs and could be hazardous to their health
6BFAC652-3A6B-4164-B30A-7D86E9C751F6.jpeg

Honestly unless your using a fixture that has one reflector for multiple bulbs then you should be using a 6%. 12% is very high and in using these if your not lifting them up off the cage top then your going to loose a full 12 inches at the top of your cage that will become unusable and dangerous because of the UVI level produced from the bulb.

With a 6% in a single bulb fixture T5HO you need a basking branch 9 inches below... No closer. This puts out a 3 UVI level which is what Panthers and Veileds both should be under.

Back
Top Bottom