Lights? Reputable Jackson’s breeders? Other questions

Uri

Avid Member
Now I plan on getting a Jackson’s chameleon soon but first I am getting my husbandry set up and making sure it works now I already got advice on plants and uvb but I need to know for heat bulbs, is a blue daylight bulb bad or should I go with a white light and if so what is the ideal bulb wattage. Also my main chameleon room will be in my basement but usually rn in the nights the temps outside are usually in the 40s-60s and the temp in my basement is usually from 65 degrees at the coldest to the average 68-70 on average. I know I need a cooler temp so how could I possibly get a colder temp when the temps get warmer during the hotter summer months where outside nights can reach the mid 80s. Although the basement still stays around like the low 70s I need to fix this before getting a chameleon to make sure everything is perfect. How can I do this keep in mind I have 0 windows down here and I can’t cool down the entire house during the summer using the actual house ac unless of course I absolutely have to. And my final question is what is a good reputable Jackson’s breeder I am looking for preferably a machakos hills and I have been drawn to TK Chameleons where I bought a shooting gallery feeder. Anyone have experience in their chameleons and if they are good and well taken care of in terms of getting a healthy chameleon? I have marked off flchams, cbreptiles, and underground reptiles I think it was called for their relatively negative reviews on here. I’d like to know what a lot of experienced keepers have to say and of course I’ve done my research as well in the topics but in terms of finding breeders it is definitely one of the harder things I’ve found besides the temperature drop and uvb which I’ve gotten a grasp on now. Thank you so much for your help everyone! Oh also I’m not set on machakos hills I can also settle with a male yellow crested as they are fascinating beautiful animals so I’m not set on machakos I will settle with yellow crested as well thank you very much will not get the chameleon tho until I have finished my setup I would like to know where to look tho once my setup is finished and been tested to be good for the safety and happiness of the animal

Last edited:
I need to know for heat bulbs, is a blue daylight bulb bad or should I go with a white light and if so what is the ideal bulb wattage.
You don't need gimmicks or colors. An old-fashioned power-sucking incandescent household lightbulb makes the best basking light. Other options are:
incandescent flood (NOT spot)
halogen flood (NOT spot)
Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) if none of the above are obtainable.

There is no plug & play, one (ideal) wattage fits all. It's a matter of trial & error (too many variables).
That said, many start with 75W, but you may very well need to move up or down from that.

Also my main chameleon room will be in my basement but usually rn in the nights the temps outside are usually in the 40s-60s and the temp in my basement is usually from 65 degrees at the coldest to the average 68-70 on average. I know I need a cooler temp so how could I possibly get a colder temp when the temps get warmer during the hotter summer months where outside nights can reach the mid 80s. Although the basement still stays around like the low 70s I need to fix this before getting a chameleon to make sure everything is perfect. How can I do this keep in mind I have 0 windows down here and I can’t cool down the entire house during the summer using the actual house ac unless of course I absolutely have to.
This was recently discussed at length here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-need-a-temperature-drop-at-night.182116/
and here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...humidity-hawaiian-jacksons-chameleons.182129/
Particularly this post: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...iian-jacksons-chameleons.182129/#post-1659851

For a breeder, you might try FramsChams. IDK if they breed/have machakos hills, but you can ask them.

Reactions: Uri
You don't need gimmicks or colors. An old-fashioned power-sucking incandescent household lightbulb makes the best basking light. Other options are:
incandescent flood (NOT spot)
halogen flood (NOT spot)
Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) if none of the above are obtainable.

There is no plug & play, one (ideal) wattage fits all. It's a matter of trial & error (too many variables).
That said, many start with 75W, but you may very well need to move up or down from that.

This was recently discussed at length here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-need-a-temperature-drop-at-night.182116/
and here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...humidity-hawaiian-jacksons-chameleons.182129/
Particularly this post: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...iian-jacksons-chameleons.182129/#post-1659851

For a breeder, you might try FramsChams. IDK if they breed/have machakos hills, but you can ask them.
Thank you very much I will buy and test a bulb and start at 75 watts and well it might be pricey but i already invested so much I might as well go above and beyond into getting the absolute best care and best knowledge and information I can before getting a living animal especially a chameleon! Also I checked them they only have female veiled at the moment but I will keep looking I still have time anyways before I’ve set up

For Jackson's I use lower wattage bulbs in the 40-60 watt range. Lower watts for younger animals and females who are more sensitive to excess heat. Your basking bulb won't need to be on all day as it might with other species. I give mine a good long bask an hour after the UVB comes on of 2-3 hours and then have short basking periods in the afternoon ending an hour before lights out. They tend to seek more heat than they need and can dehydrate themselves with too much.

Reactions: Uri
For Jackson's I use lower wattage bulbs in the 40-60 watt range. Lower watts for younger animals and females who are more sensitive to excess heat. Your basking bulb won't need to be on all day as it might with other species. I give mine a good long bask an hour after the UVB comes on of 2-3 hours and then have short basking periods in the afternoon ending an hour before lights out. They tend to seek more heat than they need and can dehydrate themselves with too much.
Thank you I’ve read and seen that they need less than say a panther or veiled but this is a good reference of the lesser heat requirements of course I think I’ll try a 75 watt to start off and see how warm it gets over a long period of time and then I will lower and raise the wattage to your suggestion

I think I’ll try a 75 watt to start off and see how warm it gets over a long period of time and then I will lower and raise the wattage to your suggestion
Sometimes certain wattages can be more difficult to find than others. Don't forget that temp can also be controlled somewhat by distance and angle of the light to the basking area. For example, if the temp is too hot (85ish), before dropping down to a 60W or 50W, backing the 75W bulb off a few inches, or angling it may lower the temp to where you want it.

Lots of trial & error.

Sometimes certain wattages can be more difficult to find than others. Don't forget that temp can also be controlled somewhat by distance and angle of the light to the basking area. For example, if the temp is too hot (85ish), before dropping down to a 60W or 50W, backing the 75W bulb off a few inches, or angling it may lower the temp to where you want it.

Lots of trial & error.
Thank you!

Now I plan on getting a Jackson’s chameleon soon but first I am getting my husbandry set up and making sure it works now I already got advice on plants and uvb but I need to know for heat bulbs, is a blue daylight bulb bad or should I go with a white light and if so what is the ideal bulb wattage. Also my main chameleon room will be in my basement but usually rn in the nights the temps outside are usually in the 40s-60s and the temp in my basement is usually from 65 degrees at the coldest to the average 68-70 on average. I know I need a cooler temp so how could I possibly get a colder temp when the temps get warmer during the hotter summer months where outside nights can reach the mid 80s. Although the basement still stays around like the low 70s I need to fix this before getting a chameleon to make sure everything is perfect. How can I do this keep in mind I have 0 windows down here and I can’t cool down the entire house during the summer using the actual house ac unless of course I absolutely have to. And my final question is what is a good reputable Jackson’s breeder I am looking for preferably a machakos hills and I have been drawn to TK Chameleons where I bought a shooting gallery feeder. Anyone have experience in their chameleons and if they are good and well taken care of in terms of getting a healthy chameleon? I have marked off flchams, cbreptiles, and underground reptiles I think it was called for their relatively negative reviews on here. I’d like to know what a lot of experienced keepers have to say and of course I’ve done my research as well in the topics but in terms of finding breeders it is definitely one of the harder things I’ve found besides the temperature drop and uvb which I’ve gotten a grasp on now. Thank you so much for your help everyone! Oh also I’m not set on machakos hills I can also settle with a male yellow crested as they are fascinating beautiful animals so I’m not set on machakos I will settle with yellow crested as well thank you very much will not get the chameleon tho until I have finished my setup I would like to know where to look tho once my setup is finished and been tested to be good for the safety and happiness of the animal
I actually purchased a little air conditioner from Amazon that you just soak the filter in water and add cold water with ice cubes on the top and it gives my Cham the temp drop she needs

Back
Top Bottom