Lights off question??

Hi guys am a new cham owner anId all seems to be going well so far besides him being terrified of me still lol. I do have a question about shutting down for the night and putting Flex to sleep. I have been turning of my 5.0 uvb and 5000k plant light 30 min before his basking light to avoid spooking him all at once. Is this okay to do or should I go all out at once? Also I have lights on for 13 hrs instead of 12, will this have any negative effects on him? Any answers are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Unless you are breeding, lights on hours really doesnt matter. As for the wandering, most have a sleeping spot that they go to several hours before lights out, and its kinda a habit. My lights on is at 6:30am, and lights out is at 7pm, and they are in bed by 4-5pm.

I dont think you have to stagger your lights off as long as there is some light in the room if they are still wondering. My lights off is at 7pm, but there is still light coming in through the windows and the hallway etc for an hour or more afterwards.

He will be fine if you do it all at once. The standard most people use a 12 hour day to give them enough rest.
It isn't unusual for a chameleon to wander his cage to patrol his territory or hunt for food. If he's just wandering no big deal. I would only be concerned if he was digging at the corners or rubbing his face across the screen to get out. You might want to film it to give people a better idea of exactly what he's doing. If your instincts tell you something is wrong you could fill out the how to ask for help form. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ This can help find anything that's off in your setup. Pics of your setup could help also.

Help form:
Species-
Translucent veiled chameleon, male, 2 months old (roughly I was told) 5th day having in ownership today.

Handling-
None yet, letting him get acclimated.

Feeding-
Twice daily crickets 6 morning 6 evening. Gut loading crickets with mustard greens, oranges,strawberries,carrots and potatoes.

Supplements-
Repashy superfluous calcium plus. Twice a week.

Watering-
Little dripper throughout day, misting with water bottle am and pm throughly until nice and moist. Seems to be drinking fine.

Droppings-
Moist brown with white end. 1 sometimes 2 a day.

Temps-
Basking 85-90
Ambient 72-85
All controlled by thermometer.

Lighting-
UVB reptisun 5.0 CFL
60 watt incandescent for heat
5000k paint led plant light. On at 630 am off at 7pm.

Humidity-
50-70%
Controlling with live plants, misting and running humidifier in house. (Not in the cage)

Plants-
Live and fake. Real golden pothos and umbrella plant. Fake pothos fines for added foliage.

Location-
Denver,CO

Cage-
Custom oak wood and screen cage 18x18x36

Problem- right around 7pm Flex starts showing alot off colors as if stressed and roaming all over cage including screens. Climbs from top to bottom and even sit right under heat lamp at times. Once even walked right by a cricket and paid no mind. I am really worried about his well being but this is also my first cham, maybe just paranoid. Haven't noticed him rubbing face on screen but have heard a scratching. I am to nervous to get real close at these times because if he is already stressed I don't want to add fuel to the fire. Will add pics of him normal and when fired up, hes sleeping now so will update with cage setup photo in the morning.

Attachments

• 20170219_195702.jpg
    20170219_195702.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170221_071605.jpg
    20170221_071605.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 86
You've still got a youngster who you haven't had for very long, so part of what he's doing is getting used to his environment. I am a bit concerned about you feeding him at night. For me, I feed in the morning, and never less than 4 hours before lights off. Sure sometimes my guy will eat later, and it's not the end of the world, but you want your cham to get in the habit of eating and then digesting his food during the day. Also, your cage is a good size for him now, but start planning for about 3 months in the future when you will need to upgrade him to a larger size.

I digress, your question was about lighting. I mimic the outside light, as I have a window in my cham room. I typically stay to a 12 hour light schedule, but in the summer when the days are longer I'll switch to 13 hours. When lights go off it's all at once. Some members on here have a moon light that they run for an hour to transition their chameleon from daylight to dusk, and then they shut everything off at night. It's your preference, really. Good luck with your new little one!

Cage setup:
Right light heat lamp
Left light LED 5000k for plant
Back/middle light reptisun 5.0 CFL about 4-5" above screen.

Attachments

• 148789904921645691609.jpg
    148789904921645691609.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 14878991310121935944970.jpg
    14878991310121935944970.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170223_181925.jpg
    20170223_181925.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 71
Thank you for all the helpful advice,as far as feeding goes I know I need to feed him twice daily as he's still a little guy but my problem is I don't get home until 4:30 so that's when I give more. I was under the impression I shouldn't throw 10-15 crickets in hoping he eats them all in fear of him being chewed on at night? Would this be okay to do or how should I go about it?

Some people cup feed so the crickets don't get loose in the cage. A deep feeder cup, 5-6 in. with screen at the bottom would keep most of them in. Clip it out of the direct spray of your mister or dripper.

Back
Top Bottom