Lighting!!

Kalieslaney

9A24961E-8C34-40C0-B144-3183155699D5.png

Is this the correct light and fixture I would need for the top of my cage? What else should I be getting for light as well?
Thanks!

I can't read the strength of that bulb, but if memory serves, it comes with a 5.0 (vs. 10.0), which is fine.
A 10.0 will also work, but as it's a stronger bulb, may need to be raised higher above the top of the enclosure.

The correct basking lamp may take some trial & error between wattage, distance, angle, ambient temperature, and heat loss of the enclosure.

60W is a good starting point. I know of people needing wattages between 40 and 100, depending on the above variables. I had to bump it to a 75W halogen flood, and insulate a small portion of the enclosure top. YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much! I actually picked my boy/girl up this morning. They don’t know the sex. They aren’t friendly also and the people I got em from never held him. He is maybe over a year old. I will post pictures once he is calmed down and settled!! I would love opinions and advice as to what to do please!

B7F34E24-8C98-4658-9D41-2EA7127310B3.jpeg

This is him/her. I am not able to get closer ): . They had em in a very small enclosure as you can see with barely anything to climb around.

That is a female, she will need a permanent laybin in her enclosure. Females lay infertile eggs like chickens. Best to make sure her basking is no higher than 80 and cut feeding to 2-3 feeders 3-4 days a week. This will help reduce clutch size or no clutch at all. Let me gather more info for you. I’ll post below.

I would recommend doing a complete husbandry review. Please include pics of the entire enclosure from the lights down. We want to make sure your new addition has a better start with you than the last owner. Just copy and paste to fill out. 😄

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much! I actually picked my boy/girl up this morning. They don’t know the sex. They aren’t friendly also and the people I got em from never held him. He is maybe over a year old. I will post pictures once he is calmed down and settled!! I would love opinions and advice as to what to do please!

For future reference, something here should help.

how to sex a veiled chameleon

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, female, unknown- I have had her for an hour or so.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? None
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? None. They gave us crickets and dubai roaches.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti with and without d3. They couldn’t tell us what schedule that they had her on.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We have a dripper.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It looks dark and slimy.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. unknown.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? She came with a small all around screen enclosure.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Double dome fixture. 60 watt daylight blue bulb, reprising 5.0 uvb 13 watt tropical bulb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? unknown
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? unknown
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in the corner of the living room. there is a air vent kinda close. about 2 feet away from ceiling or so.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Virginia USA.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. We just brought home her. The people couldn’t tell me anything about her. I have been slowly getting stuff for a chameleon but a friend of a friend needed to rehome her ASAP. So we took her in. The above info is what we came home in and what they gave us. I have been ordering things online for a couple months but do not have my own complete supplies. We built a cage that is 4 feet tall and about 24 inches all around. I have also bought a humidifier. We brought in a bunch of vines and more life like branches to decorate. I am waiting for the proper lighting to come in as well. The picture is what she came home in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom