Lighting

MattandRicco

Established Member
I have a 4 month old male veiled chameleon, at what age should I switch from the 5.0 to the 10.0 linear t5 high output

I have a 4 month old male veiled chameleon, at what age should I switch from the 5.0 to the 10.0 linear t5 high output
I don’t know that there is an easy answer here. Much depends on your set-up, exposure, cage size and supplement regime. For instance, if you supplement with any d3, you might need less uvb exposure. If you’re interested, a solar meter would be very helpful.

I don’t know that there is an easy answer here. Much depends on your set-up, exposure, cage size and supplement regime. For instance, if you supplement with any d3, you might need less uvb exposure. If you’re interested, a solar meter would be very helpful.
Off topic. HI CHRIS!!!!!!!! Your back ❤

I am talking about veiled chameleon , i know panthers and jackson are 5.0 but theres alot of mixed feelings about 5.0 and 10.0 for veilds

I am talking about veiled chameleon , i know panthers and jackson are 5.0 but theres alot of mixed feelings about 5.0 and 10.0 for veilds
So the best way to figure this out is to get yourself a solar meter. As far as I can see, a uvi of 3-ish at the basking branch is sufficient. That can be accomplished in many ways, using everything from 5.0 t8s to 14% t5s, and even halides. There are stats out there to tell you what uvi ratings you’ll get at different distances from the bulb. @Beman has some numbers.

So the best way to figure this out is to get yourself a solar meter. As far as I can see, a uvi of 3-ish at the basking branch is sufficient. That can be accomplished in many ways, using everything from 5.0 t8s to 14% t5s, and even halides. There are stats out there to tell you what uvi ratings you’ll get at different distances from the bulb. @Beman has some numbers.
I have 5.0 t5 high output

For a veiled chameleon ?
yes..... the only thing increasing to a stronger bulb will do is increase the UVI level at basking. I have seen very few enclosures that would need this. This would be when there is literally no clear open basking space at the top. So essentially the plants are reducing the uvi. But how we set up our enclosures there is always a basking area. An open area where they can access heat and UVB. This is how Bill Strand teaches set up at the chameleonacademy link.

The other thing is that if you use a single bulb fixture you will never want to go to the stronger bulb. The only other time a 10.0 or 12% is used is in fixtures where there are multiple bulbs that share one reflector panel. (not when each bulb has its own reflector) So this increase is needed because the UVI is reduced with the multiple bulbs side by side and 1 single reflector. Distance to basking changes as well with these fixtures.

So with what your using it is perfect. Veileds and Panthers both should have a 3 UVI at basking. These are the two I am most familiar with and both would need a 5.0 or 6% bulb only in a single bulb fixture at a distance of 9 inches away from basking to get the 3 UVI level.

yes..... the only thing increasing to a stronger bulb will do is increase the UVI level at basking. I have seen very few enclosures that would need this. This would be when there is literally no clear open basking space at the top. So essentially the plants are reducing the uvi. But how we set up our enclosures there is always a basking area. An open area where they can access heat and UVB. This is how Bill Strand teaches set up at the chameleonacademy link.

The other thing is that if you use a single bulb fixture you will never want to go to the stronger bulb. The only other time a 10.0 or 12% is used is in fixtures where there are multiple bulbs that share one reflector panel. (not when each bulb has its own reflector) So this increase is needed because the UVI is reduced with the multiple bulbs side by side and 1 single reflector. Distance to basking changes as well with these fixtures.

So with what your using it is perfect. Veileds and Panthers both should have a 3 UVI at basking. These are the two I am most familiar with and both would need a 5.0 or 6% bulb only in a single bulb fixture at a distance of 9 inches away from basking to get the 3 UVI level.
Thank you so much

Im getting a custom enclosure built for rico..... is 48Length x 18Wide x 72High a good size?

Back
Top Bottom