Lighting

Chammy007

Established Member
Hi, just doing some research and have a question about bulbs.
What wattage should the UVB light and basking light be?thanks.chammy007

F2297FDF-BB41-4BA4-AE56-604FE0F04D83.jpeg

Just not sure. Can the basking light be found in the pic above?
if not what brand and wattage would you suggest?and what wattage is the Zoo Med UVB bulb?thanks much.chammy007

You can use a regular household incandescent light bulb for basking. Just make sure it’s not LED. Not sure what wattage you’d need...probably try a 75 watt and see if that will give the right basking temps. For UVB you want to get a T5 ho fixture as long as the width of your enclosure and use either a 5.0 bulb or Arcadia 6%.

The question is how far away do you want the bulb/heater to be. Most have a scale printed on the package, and on the web. I have found them to be pretty accurate as far as distance and heat.
With the UVB I do not believe wattage is relevant. Please correct me if someone knows for sure. For UVB it is the amount of UVB that is transmitted. So I would look at depth and surface area you want to cover.
Florescent can go maybe 24 inches deep. Metal halide about 36" (they claim. Still researching good evidence)
Account for cover, and weather or not the cham gen get out of direct light. Is there a screen divider ? this also blocks some light.
The it is really 5.0 or 10.0 I would rank metal halide as 10.0
5.0 or 10.0 they go the same depth, but the amount of UVB is greater in 10.0. So If you have lots of high cover at the top of his enclosure, and it sits on a screen go 10.0. If most of your foliage is at the bottom to middle, probably 5.0.

develop is spelled wrong XD

Sorry. I am a terrible speller. NO joke. Math guy. I count 100 percent on spell check :ROFLMAO:(y)

Back
Top Bottom