Lighting

Hello everyone -- I was reading this thread on lighting. I have my UVB and 6500K daylight plant bulb and fixture worked out. I am trying to decide on my basking bulb. So I am seeing different options for this. My biggest question is -- I was looking at getting either the Arcadia 8" dome fixture or the Flukers 10" dome for my basking lamp but my question is for the wattage of the basking bulb. Is it better to get a 100w zoo med basking bulb or the 75watt. I was going to buy them in a 2 pack to have one on hand. NOt sure if 100watt is too hot, or if 75watt is good?

For UVB you will need a reptisun 5 or Arcadia 6% in what even length cage you have. I personally went with a 24" and put it and an angle to increase coverage.

For heat I use a 65w house bulb off Amazon or Home Depot. Now that it's winter I switched to a zoo med 75w.

This all depends on your home temp and how warm the basking spot is. The basking g branch should be about 8" away from the lamp and if it's for a veiled at about 90 degrees with plenty of braches around for options. Sometimes mine like to be on the main branch and sometimes they are just near by keeping warm.

You will need to by a temp gun to help ensure the right temp accurately.

Would you be able to recommend a good 24" fixture as well? That's what I'll be getting as well. I see the lamp recommendations below.

Update -- I ended up ordering a much less expensive 2ft HO T5 Fixture from Sunblaze that is a 2 lamp and comes with 2 - 6500 daylight bulbs. I got it on Amazon for very little with free prime shipping. I just ordered the Reptisun UVB 5.0 24" bulb for it and will replace one of the 6500 with it and have a backup 6500 for my plants as well.

The one @CC's Baby is great. I just used the reptisun one since it came with the the 5% bulb ready to go out of the box.
Yes, ironically. I noticed that all the reptisun fixtures for the UVB bulb are out of stock everywhere it seems but then I wanted a double lamp bulb anyway to add the 6500 daylight bulb for my plants too.

Update -- I ended up ordering a much less expensive 2ft HO T5 Fixture from Sunblaze that is a 2 lamp and comes with 2 - 6500 daylight bulbs. I got it on Amazon for very little with free prime shipping. I just ordered the Reptisun UVB 5.0 24" bulb for it and will replace one of the 6500 with it and have a backup 6500 for my plants as well.
I should also add - I want to thank Don Shuld for all of his help and links on finding me those light fixtures. He saved the day for me honestly. He has been just as helpful with all of that as Matt has been on everything else! thank you Don!

Those are 2 fantastic mentors that I have sent my fair amount of questions to each. Glad you got it sorted out and your guy will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom