Lighting

Has anyone had any issue with the Zoo Med 13 watt UVB and 60w daylight Blue Lamp causing any problems in their chameleons. I will try to upload pictures 14981361041991110288432.jpg

They are pretty useless for uvb. Think about it, how much is directly hitting the cham, vs bouncing off the frame and the curlly tube itself. CFLs are a weapon of last resort.

I agree CFLs aren't really all that great. I turned mine up to 10.0 because it was a cfl. Luckily I'm switching to a megaray soon when my big cage is done being built

My babies right eye has been closed for the past 2 days and i was wondering if this issue could be caused by the lighting?...im taking her to the vet Saturday

My babies right eye has been closed for the past 2 days and i was wondering if this issue could be caused by the lighting?...im taking her to the vet Saturday

the Eye problem was from Cfls when they first came out. Its been over 6 years since that time, and they all got recalled. An eye problem could be from anything, even getting sap on it from rubbing on a plant.

Oh okay. The blue light bulb just went out this morning. Im going to buy a new one. will yall suggest me getting a new uvb aswell

Personally i would get rid of the whole thing and switch to the longest straight tube setup you can fit. You can get them as small as 20" wide that will fit a 18" 10.0.

https://zoomed.com/t8-reptisun-terrarium-hood/

As for replacing your blue light, i would goto the hardware store and by a wide beam halogen for a buck or 2. They are just as good as the "basking bulbs with pictures of lizards on the box" but you dont have the lizard picture tax.

UVA let's them see in color basically. It isn't as necessary as Uvb but not having it will shorten the chams lifespan and lower quality of life as far as I know. Not seeing the right colors leads to stress.

UVA let's them see in color basically. It isn't as necessary as Uvb but not having it will shorten the chams lifespan and lower quality of life as far as I know. Not seeing the right colors leads to stress.

Wut?

Any who, the 5.0/10.0 will be full spectrum and supply both uva and uvb. As to the possibly of reptiles able to see in the uv spectrum like birds, im not sure on that one. As for lower quality of life etc, there are several breeders on the forum that dont even use UV lights, and just rely on supplements. They have been doing this practice since the 90's.

That's just what I've read. That chams and other lizards can see in the in spectrum and without uva from the sun or another source they don't see colors like they are used to. Anyways Reptisun provides uva so you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom