Lighting Questions

WazerWifle

I want to start off by saying hello to all the fellow chameleon enthusiasts

I currently have a 16" L X 16" W X 30" H screen enclosure for a i'm guessing 2 - 3 month old veiled chameleon (very small chameleon). I have done lots of research on chameleons but the one thing I am having trouble understanding is the lighting. I currently have a dual deep dome lamp fixture with a 60 watt heat bulb and a 10.0 ReptiSun compact fluorescent light but I have been reading that it is not a good option.

Now here is where I have a major question. I have built a large enclosure measuring 31" L X 31" W X 56" H and I am not sure if the little 10.0 ReptiSun compact fluorescent light will be enough for the chameleon and the live chameleon friendly plants. I currently have the top of the enclosure blocked off with a rectangle cut out for the light fixture. If I need to buy a long tube uvb light I could remove the board and add aluminum wire mesh instead so that i'ts not a fire hazard. If any of you have any ideas on how to improve my situation I would really appreciate the help.
20190616_181147.jpg
Here is the top board with the rectangle cut. If needed I will remove it and put aluminum wire mesh instead.

20190616_181135.jpg
Bigger picture of the new enclosure with the current enclosure in it for size comparison

20190616_181009.jpg
This is the current setup for the little guy or girl, I have both the small blue pot and orange water collector for drip system covered with mesh so it won't get in. I have ordered more plants for extra foliage and i'm just waiting for them to arrive. If I'm doing anything wrong or can improve some things please let me know.

20190616_184849.jpg
Picture of the lights

20190616_184845.jpg
Picture of the little guy/girl, just got him yesterday

Thank you so much for your time and hopefully everything goes well

You can throw that coil bulb in the garbage because that's all it is... trash! You're going to want to get a T5HO 36" with a 10.0 or 12% linear bulb. Going to need to cut a bigger whole and put some mesh over it. Do not mount any lights inside the enclosure.

I'm attaching a few memes, care sheets, and examples of a proper enclosure setup. Let me know if you have any more questions.
FB_IMG_1558641122877.jpg
chameleon-food.jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-supplements.jpg
chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
chameleon-uvb-light.jpg
53581825_2082435731806067_7881559790420230144_n.jpg
Screenshot_20190225-032744_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190225-040053_Chrome.jpg

Go to lightyourreptiles.com... for that large of an enclosure I would go with a quad fixture and a 12% bulb. Your gonna need the light. If your going to have plants I would additionally add a plant bulb for the quad. Email Todd there and send him a pic of the enclosure but I think he will agree with my suggestion. He does have a 30inxh quad as well that would fit your build well.

You can throw that coil bulb in the garbage because that's all it is... trash! You're going to want to get a T5HO 36" with a 10.0 or 12% linear bulb. Going to need to cut a bigger whole and put some mesh over it. Do not mount any lights inside the enclosure.

I'm attaching a few memes, care sheets, and examples of a proper enclosure setup. Let me know if you have any more questions. View attachment 236284View attachment 236285View attachment 236287View attachment 236288View attachment 236289View attachment 236291View attachment 236292View attachment 236293View attachment 236294
Thank you so much, honestly you don't know how much I needed these. I really appreciate it and now have a greater understanding on lighting. I'm planning to go all out on this enclosure. Before this I used to be so confused with a lot of things because different articles said different things but now I know what to do. Thank you so much.

Go to lightyourreptiles.com... for that large of an enclosure I would go with a quad fixture and a 12% bulb. Your gonna need the light. If your going to have plants I would additionally add a plant bulb for the quad. Email Todd there and send him a pic of the enclosure but I think he will agree with my suggestion. He does have a 30inxh quad as well that would fit your build well.
Thank you so much, I will check it out. I really appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom