Lighting Questions

Psydeways

Hi again! Just continuing my research and preparation for the arrival of my new baby Panther and had some questions about lighting. I'm sure they've been asked a million times so apologies but couldn't find the answers when I searched through previous threads.

1. UVB - It seems like the general consensus is to go with a Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 18" Tube so this is what I will be getting.
- What sort of housing/fitting/controller should I be buying to put this tube in?

2. Basking / Heat Lamp - As far as I can see, I should be getting a 100W bulb.
- Is there any particular type/brand I should get?
- Is there a particular type of holder/reflector/controller I need for this?
- Will the holder be OK resting on the top of the cage or should it be in a stand a few inches above?

3. I'm based in the UK. Are there any companies/websites who sell chameleon supplies that any other UK-based members have used and would reccommend?

I know there's loads of questions there but I just want to make sure that everything is absolutely perfect before I get my Cham. Massive thanks in advance!

Hi Im from the uk too. Swell reptile is great to order from.

I would personally always use a 10.0 minimum on my chameleons. I would go for the newer T5 systems. You could g for the 6% with relector.

What size cage are you getting?

I can link you to all the T5 equipment on the website if you want.

Regarding heating I find a 60watt s more than adequate. I use the exo terra refelctors held about an inch from the screen top of the cage. This stops the mesh getting hot and avoids burns.

Where is the chameleon coming from?

Thanks for your reply.

I'll be getting a 24x24x48 cage.

UVB - Ok I was under the impression that the 5.0 was the most suitable but can certainly get a 10.0 if it's better for the cham. Not worried about spending a bit more on equipment/setup as long as the cham will be in an optimum environment.

Yea if you could give me some links to the T5 equipment you'd reccommend, that would be great!

I'm getting the cham from this place:

http://www.reptile-crazy.co.uk/

He's a local breeder with an excellent reputation here. When I went to speak with him initially, and see the store, ,it's evident he know his stuff and all of his reptiles are very well looked after / cared for.

If you are going for that size cage most people in the Uk use the 12%. The us mainly use 5.0 but then many can give their chameleons regular access to outside sunlight but we cannot. As long as they cage is well planted and offers shaded ares where the cham can move to the 125 will be fine.

You can use the arcadia canopy that is everything in one with only one lead which can be found here.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rep...dia-vivarium-canopy-24w-t5-desert-307407.html

They do a 6% version that you could use but I have used the 15% since they came out two years ago now on panthers and they work great.

Sorry - I've just checked and realised I got the dimensions of the cage wrong. The one I'm getting is 18x18x36 inches.

So on your reccomendation, I can get the Arcadia T5 22" 12% Bulb with the appropriate reflector. This will have to go diagonally across the top of the cage for it to fit. Then I can have the basking/heat lamp in one of the corners. Do you think that will work ok?

That would work well.

I take it you know that he will eventually need a bigger cage. You could always go with the flood lamp they do and this could be used on his adult enclosure. This allows a better uv gradient. I have always used the tubes with no problems but now people are using lights that do not cover the whole cage allowing an area of shade.

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/uv-flood-lamp/

They do an 18 inch canopy if you wanted but this would have to be upgraded for the adult cage.

Yea I know I'll have to get him a bigger cage when he grows. I just didn't want to put him in a massive cage as I'll be getting him when he's around 3 months old.

What size/age do you think he will need to be moved into a larger cage at?

Thanks again for all your help!

I move mine around 8 months old to their adult cage. i have started my 3 month male off in a medium reptibreeze. He could move now at 6 months but I am going to leave him a while for now.

I've just received a callsaying the eggs have started to hatch!! Exciting times!!

Just about to buy the arcadia bulbs but have notice there is 2 different types of T5 bulbs. There is a D3 and a D3+...

Does anybody know what the difference between the 2 is and which one will be best for my cham???

Back
Top Bottom